Did you mean: 

htaccess rewrites

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

htaccess rewrites

Hi
I've got a quick question about rewrites in htaccess files.  This is about an external web host and not any of Plusnets servers.  htaccess is meant to be fully supported, so if it's possible to do what I want, the it should work!
I've recently redesigned 2 websites that I work on, with both the originals being pretty well used.  Come launch time for each of the new sites, I'll want to make the old site unavailable and the new site available very quickly.  On each site the live sites are at www.example.com and the new sites are at www.example.com/newsite/. ; Is it possible, using rewites for when a user goes to www.example.com/directory1/Somepage.php for them to actually to see the file from www.example.com/newsite/directory1/Somepage.php without them seeing a change in the address bar?
Does any of that make sense!?!
Thanks
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

1 REPLY 1
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: htaccess rewrites

Makes perfect sense to me and have seen it done even today, sorry though dont know how