cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i network my pc? Help

mckfrunk

how do i network my pc? Help

Hi folks,
I imagine someone here will have an answer to my question. I hope! I have recently got wireless broadband that I have set up on my laptop but I would like my pc upstairs to be able to access the wireless broadband but I am not sure what to do. I dont think the pc has a modem installed and wonder what I need to do to get internet access upstairs. The router I have is a Voyager 2091. Any help would be most apprectiated - as you no doubt will guess, Im not very clever when it comes to all things 'computer - like'. Thanks in advance
Mckfrunk
10 REPLIES 10
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: how do i network my pc? Help

Hi MckFrunk!
Welcome to the community.
First of all, please don't feel silly for asking, we all have to start somewhere, and you've come to the right place!
To be truthful, there are a few ways of networking PC's together with a wireless router - I'm no great networking guru, but I can give you the benefit of my experience.
The way I have things configured here is that my main PC is wired, using the ethernet cable directly into the router - this gives me some kind of fallback if the wireless decides to take a tumble, also it's the recommended way of accessing and administering your router - because it is secured.
This is all set up in the lounge as I had BT stick an extension socket next to the computer desk when we moved in here. My Nokia N95 and my laptop work wirelessly with good wireless range throughout the house and garden/garage.
If you're determined to use wireless everywhere, then maybe this link to amazon might be of use to you.
You can buy USB wireless adaptors which plug straight into your main PC and with a quick install of software and a bit of jiggery pokery, you should be able to access your wireless network straight away.
Of course, there are many devices you can buy to give your machine wireless connectivity, but the USB is a "quick and dirty" way of doing it. Technology is always improving, so whatever wasn't all that good a few years back is bound to have improved.
Anyway, it's all down to how you want it. If your main PC is upstairs and you have a phone socket nearby to it, then move the router upstairs and use the ethernet connection. This should also give you a better range for the wireless as the router is higher up, but please bear in mind that you should at the minimum have your network secured either using WPA/WPA2 or WEP, as a additional step, it's good to hide the SSID (The ID of your network) once you have everything set up. This will stop certain unscrupulous people from attempting to use your network to download on your bandwidth allowance (It's called War-driving and it is also illegal!)
I hope this is of some help to you, and I'm sure other members of the community will be along to add their 2p worth too!
Welcome again, and all the best!
Roger.

Edit: - I've moved this thread to the wireless internet section of the board as it's more relevent there!
mckfrunk

Hi Roger,
Many thanks for your response and understanding. I clicked the link (thanks for going that extra mile) and just one more wee question if its not too much trouble? Do I need a modem on the pc or does the usb thingy do all that for me. I have a router thingy but im not sure whether that is a modem too. I cant move my router as I only have a downstairs phone socket. Many thanks again.
McFrunk
scootie
Grafter

your voyager is the modem/router all u need is the usb wireless adapters to plug in to your usb on your comps and run the software that comes with your usb adapter but if u have vista i find using the wireless stuff that comes with vista better than the netgear adapter software that came with my dg834g router.
not the best knowledge on this as i dont have voyager but it probally runs on B/G B being u to 10mb speed and G being upto 54mb thats the speed from computer to the router nothing to do with your broadband speed. most usb adapters run both B/G.
Then if your want to swap files between comps just put all your comps in the same workgroup if u need help with that just post again when u get to that point.
well ive gone on abit there so in simple terms no your comps dont need modems because thats the job of the voyager wireless router u just need wireless usb adapters for your comps to be able to connect to the voyager router.
there r other gadgets u can use other than usb but usb is easyiest and most likely cheapest way to go wirleless.
mckfrunk

Thanks asbo dog - thats great. I should be up and running in no time then. The kids will be thrilled to get internet on their computer and all thanks to folks in the know! thanks for help folks - great wee site for folks like me who have not a clue what they are doing!! Smiley
scootie
Grafter

just add to what rogerloxton sayed about wpa/wpa2 wep its also a good idea to change the default password you use to acess the router setup page http://192.168.1.1 ; as there is new attacks where people hack the modem/router from over the net but its not that common to my knowledge. but is allways better to protect against
oliverb
Grafter

I'll second that, its always good advice to change a router's admin password as the defaults are well known. Since you won't be using the admin password often its one you probably should write down as resetting the password on a router usually clears EVERYTHING!!
Regarding wireless security look for WPA/WPA1 security level as a safe compromise. The older WEP system has been cracked and is obsolete. Not all systems will handle WPA2, if it works for you then go for it!!
Regarding SSID hiding I'd say if you think you're alone in having wireless then consider hiding it, however if you pick up other networks when setting up then leave SSID visible as it'll tell others that the channel you've selected is in use. To avoid conflict networks have to be seperated by a gap of 3 or 4 channels.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

That's something I didn't even know about with the hiding of the SSID.. good tip. Cheers!
samuria
Grafter

If you dont hide it change it from the default as this gives a hacker the details of the router. If you see a SID of Netgear then you can have a good guess at the password username if it hasnt been changed.
Dont choose a SID that identifies your house like the jones it does tell people were you live etc so they can come an nick your computer or give a clue to other things if they know you
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I always advise people to choose an SSID that is in no way connected to them; all they need to do is recognise it! Pick something at random out of the paper for example.
oliverb
Grafter

Another thing about SSID is it should be unique (at least in your area), if two housholds pick the same SSID and their areas overlap then computers will sometimes try to connect to the wrong router, leading to seemingly random connection failures.