cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home plug networking

paulphilip

home plug networking

hi guys can anyone help i have a wired network thru ethernet(20mtrs) on two pcsat moment linked thru my thomson router and have bought 2 homeplugs and set up as stated in manual but although main comp is still on internet other one does get connected says limited if any connection and network does not show up any answers
13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: home plug networking

Can you explain in a little more detail how you have the homeplugs connected in respect of the router and the pc's then perhaps we might be able to assist with the problem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Check you have the following setup:-
Router -> home plug 1
Home plug 2->other pc
on the pc you have it set for DHCP in the network control panel
If so then check you have an IP address, Open start menu/Run enter "cmd" (without the quotes") then type in ipconfig and post the result here.
paulphilip

hi have plug in port 1 of router and plug 2  in pc2,
pc1 still has internet but pc2 has limited or no connection
pc1 is vista and pc2 is xp
thanks
samuria
Grafter

Just checking you have one plug near the router and from that you have a network cable plugged into the router. You then have another plug and from that you have a network cable into the network card on the back of the pc. Both the cables are straight cables not cross over?
The error normally suggest a faulty cable. Find the ip address of the other pc by opening a cmd prompt and doing ipconfig /all. then on the Xp pc type the same info in for the ip as the Vista pc but add one to the final number of the ip. So if Vista was 10.0.0.2 make the Xp pc 10.0.0.3 all other info should be the same as ip4 ie default gateway subnett dns etc.
If it then doesnt work suspect one of the cables or faulty plugs
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The error normally suggest a faulty cable.

Or, of course, a faulty Homeplug. I'm not familiar with these but I presume they require some setting up, how is that done , web browser or switch settings ? What model homeplugs are they ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Thats a point, you have "paired" the home plug's ?
Should be a button you have to press on both to sync them together.
paulphilip

have tried them again but 1 seems to not be detected they have 3 leds. power,ethernet and powerline.  1 lights up all three  the other only lights up 2 with no powerline light, you dont have to pair them up
thanx
HairyMcbiker
All Star

If you don't pair them how do you know which one is yours? Assuming that your neighbor  is using some as well  Shocked
mal0z
Grafter

I don't think a neighbour would necessarily be on the same phase. They distribute the 3 phase power to equalise the load, with adjacent properties being on a different phase.
jtn
Grafter

Quote from: paulphilip
have tried them again but 1 seems to not be detected they have 3 leds. power,ethernet and powerline.  1 lights up all three  the other only lights up 2 with no powerline light, you dont have to pair them up
thanx

You are right, they should just work but they should have come with some management utility software, try installing that and see if anything shows up.
Cheers
Jon
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

With the ones my brother got  you had to pair/secure with some software. It only took a couple of minutes but until we'd worked out that you had to plug and pair each one separately, which the rather poorly barely existent documentation didn't really make clear, we had exactly the same problem as you
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I just plugged mine in and they work, should i use the software to make sure my neighbours arent watching my junk!
paulphilip

have tried utility but only one shows up suspect faulty plug