Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with freenas setup (media server)

greg16
Grafter

help with freenas setup (media server)

Hi All,
hoping someone can help me.  i purchased the HP Proliant NL40 at xmas time and want to use it as a NAS / media server, i decided to put freenas on it (new to it).
I have managed to get freenas installed and mapped to my laptop, what i want to do is be able to access it remotely (from outside my network) and be able to play the content stored on it ( from either pc or mobile phone).  wondering if anyone knows any way of being able to do this through a internet browser.
is it also possible to be able to copy straight from a cd or do i have to go through the NAS part everytime.
Im pretty much wanting to do the same as this http://www.whathifi.com/review/cocktail-audio-x10-500gb but with remote access.
if freenas aint up to it but some one knows a system that is, then im happy to change  Smiley
many thanks
6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: help with freenas setup (media server)

If you want a web interface, I expect you will want to install a web server.
What does "copy straight from CD" mean?
Do you want to just mount a CD and play directly from it, without using an intermediate disk?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

greg16
Grafter

Many thanks 4 reply fox
Copy from cd meant that I wud like 2 put a cd into da drive and copy the contents onto the server, rather than copy it 2 the laptop and then copy it over to the server via LAN
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Ok from the faq http://www.freenas.org/features/feature-overview/item/command-line-interface?category_id=108
You could ssh in after it is installed and issue a cp /media/cd/<files> /<somewhere>
I haven't used it since it was about v1 so not up to date with the features of it. I stopped using a nas other than a simple arm based one several years ago to keep power down.
greg16
Grafter

thanks hairy biker,
i only picked freenas as i seen so much about it when googling a nas program, but if u know of a beter system that will do what i want then im happy to change.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Depends on what you want to do, if it is just folder/file sharing then any distro will do it, if it is upnp or similar then you are better off with something preconfigured like freenas.
So what are you ultimately trying to do?
greg16
Grafter

Hi hairy,
I suppose simply I want a server tat I can access remotely and b able 2 play my music or video's off, weather it b a phone or pc I use 2 connect 2