cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help think im thick =o0

silverfoxy
Dabbler

help think im thick =o0

hi all please coulsd someone tell me what a checksum is?my daughters notebook has come up with that its either battery or this check sum? never heard of this before...may give me a better understanding of how to load back into windows..cant do safe mode either Undecided
3 REPLIES 3
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: help think im thick =o0

when you load a file, some good people put in a checksum, it is a mathematical number that adds up all the bits in the file, the computer checks that to make sure the download is not corrupt
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

my daughters notebook has come up with that its either battery or this check sum?

I suspect in this case its probably referring to the BIOS checksum. Computers have some of their more basic settings held in the BIOS memory , this is maintained by a small Lithium battery on the motherboard. I guess that in your case the battery is becoming exhausted and the memory is losing some data and thus its checksum is failing. These batteries are usually easy to change on desktop PC's but laptops and notebooks are more difficult since access to the motherboard is not so easy. What make / model of notebook is it ? It might be possible to download a service manual which would explain how to access the battery.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

silverfoxy
Dabbler

thankyou to you both kind gentlemen for helping a damsel in distress(with extra ear ache haha) may i take this oppertuninty to wish all happy new year for 2010 thanks again... im not so thick now =o)