cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

grub/windows boot loader

scootie
Grafter

grub/windows boot loader

Right just whacked ubuntu on partion 2(got rid of vista and its system files) ive got W7 on partion 3.
ive now got grub boot loader firing up first, and instead of having W7 in its menu its got the windows boot loader, to which i boot into and then ive got windows7 and windows 7 recovered in the windows boot loader.
yes i should of just been happy with windows and not messed about, so linux fan boys how do i get this extra entry out of the windows boot loader and just have the windows 7 recovered option show up in the grub loader?
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: grub/windows boot loader

Surely it is the WINDOWS boot loader you need to change as grub is only offering you one windows option ? Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you tried rebooting Windows twice, taking the standard (non-recovery) option?
I had to do this after a NTFS filesystem error on a W7 laptop.
You do have to reboot twice Cheesy to get rid of the extra option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Andrew_B
Grafter

I'd agree that you'd need to edit the Windows bootloader and get rid of the recovered option.
Easy BCD is the easiest way to do this that I've found, plenty of download links here:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=easy+bcd&meta=&aq=f&aqi=g1g-s9&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
You can edit the Grub menu by changing /boot/grub/menu.lst although I gather this has changed in Ubuntu 10.4.
scootie
Grafter

ok. cheers for the input.
ive allready used easy bcd to get rid of the invalid W7 entry, and now instead of taking me from grub to windows boot loader i can boot straight into w7 from grub 2 (oh yes forgot to say its grub 2 ).
am now just editing the etc/default/grub file to change ubuntu from the default to load to windows 7
having read everying about grub 2 am now wanting to add a splash screen, why when you solve one problem do you have to go and find something else thats going to give you a head ache
scootie
Grafter

ive edited the below file to the default value of 30 for the windows 7 and then ran the update-grub command, but the deafult to load is still ubuntu when i rebooted Lips_are_sealed
etc/ default/grub
GRUB_DEFAULT=30
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

boot/ grub/ grub.cfg
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" {
insmod ntfs
set root=(hd0,2)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 01cae09884b73350
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Have a look <a href="http://grub.gibibit.com/">here</a> for a nicer menu when booting.
TO modify the grub menu install Startup-Manage (from inside Ubuntu)
30 isn't the correct number unless you  have 30 OS's Installed!
scootie
Grafter

30 isn't the correct number unless you  have 30 OS's Installed!

Embarrassed . yep your right there, forgot about that (well didnt forget just got 3 kids pecking my head for sweets at the time)
scootie
Grafter

all up and running now, after changing the value from 30 to 4 windows 7 boots by default
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Never mind Crazy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."