Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting a VDSL2 modem

roberkwild
Dabbler

getting a VDSL2 modem

hi all,
as the hub one cant be converted into a modem only router, can i get a VDSL2 modem sent to me, i will pay money for it, just wondered if plusnet can provide one
or do i call BT to get one?
cheers,
rob
22 REPLIES 22
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: getting a VDSL2 modem

TBH if you are going to buy a VDSL modem , their are a lot better options than the PN one , Mr Google is your friend Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Which router do you have? Just switch off WiFi and smart setup off on your Hub One, and connect your existing router WAN port to a Lan port on the Hub One, the only other thing you may have to do is change the IP range on one of them, but even that may be done automatically if your own router is newish.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: roberkwild
hi all,
as the hub one cant be converted into a modem only router, can i get a VDSL2 modem sent to me, i will pay money for it, just wondered if plusnet can provide one
or do i call BT to get one?
cheers,
rob

the openretch modems that used to get supplied were ceased because of the upgrade plans for the BT network that they cant cope with, your options if you want to use a different router than that supplied are rather limited to buy something new, what you need is a g.inp capable ipv6 compliant vdsl2+ modem/router things you can buy from mainstream retailers.
I would recommend that you forget about having a separate modem though as something compatable with planned network upgrades due to be rolled out this year (or switched on in some cases) is a couple of hundred quid whilst you can get a So-Ho (small business) grade cheaper ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: roberkwild
can i get a VDSL2 modem sent to me, i will pay money for it,

If you have a suitable router already, there's plenty of BT Openreach modems on eBay.
roberkwild
Dabbler
pwatson
Rising Star

The Draytek modem is very expensive.  I would have thought that it would be worth going for an integrated router/modem if you're looking to spend that kind of money.
The Amazon unit is probably an ECI modem and they're generally cheaper on eBay.
Personally, I'd get this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-OPENREACH-EchoLife-HG612-ModemFTTC-VDSL-NTE-3B-HUAWEI-/131756293562?has...
The Huawei modems tend to go for more money than the ECI ones as they can be hacked to give a web GUI and the are/were more compatible with g.inp
[Edit - Just noticed that the eBay modem is collection only]
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: pwatson

The Huawei modems tend to go for more money than the ECI ones as they can be hacked to give a web GUI and the are/were more compatible with g.inp
[Edit - Just noticed that the eBay modem is collection only]

the old BTOR modems are not a good idea since they are not compatible with the upgrades to the network due to roll out this year, infact buying one will likely leave you out of pocket with something that doesn't work
and that's the same for both the junk eci modems that weren't even stable on the majority of exchanges (only compatible with the Infineon exchanges used early in the upgrade rollout for fttc) and the hg612's because neither of them are ipv6 compliant and neither of them are g.inp compliant nor are they compliant with several of the other planned upgrades due to start getting implemented this year.
cheap is not necessarily good, and bying defunct out of date end of life stuff or even recommending it oon the grounds "it works for me right now" isn't a good thing either.
BTOR stopped giving out those junk modems the second they had an all in one they could farm out instead.
either buy the archer c8 the billion 8800 or 8900 or other similar specced router/modem unit, yes they cost a lot but its better to pay once than to pay several times to end up back where you started with an isp supplied piece of crud that's about as usefull as a chocolate tea pot....
pwatson
Rising Star

I was tempted to ignore you as usual but this is clearly an attempt to, yet again, derail a perfectly sensible thread.
Quote from: nanotm
the old BTOR modems are not a good idea since they are not compatible with the upgrades to the network due to roll out this year,

You can substantiate this presumably?  There are hundreds of thousands of BT modems in use in this country and there will be a lot of annoyed customers soon then!  Although it would be foolish to guarantee that the BTOR modems will *never* be obsoleted, BT withdrew the supply as it removes the need for an engineer home visit.  In this regard the roll out of FTTC mirrors the original rollout of ADSL.
and that's the same for both the junk eci modems that weren't even stable on the majority of exchanges

More nonsense - What's the exchange got to do with it by the way?
neither of them are ipv6 compliant and neither of them are g.inp complian

My Huawei is working well passing IPv6 traffic on my connection thanks and I believe it's only the ECI modems that had an issue with g.inp (not supported on the upstream)
nanotm
Pro

Well then clearly the BT press release last year was wrong and your right or perhaps there are other changes to the network like spectrum changes that the old junk can't do,
As to the impending problem of upset customers that was rather the thrust of a topic on the forums last year when the announcement's were made......
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: pwatson
I was tempted to ignore you as usual but this is clealry an attempt to, yet again, derail a perfectly sensible thread.
the old BTOR modems are not a good idea since they are not compatible with the upgrades to the network due to roll out this year,

You can substantiate this presumably?  There are hundreds of thousands of BT modems in use in this country and there will be a lot of annoyed customers soon then!  Although it would be foolish to guarantee that the BTOR modems will *never* be obsoleted, BT withdrew the supply as it removes the need for an engineer home visit.  In this regard the roll out of FTTC mirrors the original rollout of ADSL.

In what way is this true?
Details please.
I've had an Openreach modem connected to my Netgear router/wifi/switch (both supplied by Plusnet) on fibre for the last 4 years.
I've recently added a Gigabit switch with a single connection to a router LAN port.
So all local wired IP traffic bypasses the router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

roberkwild
Dabbler

yes...the draytek 130 seems very pricey considering you can get a DSL router for the same price
i have read theres different fibre cabinets, the ECI M41 cabinet and the Huawei MA5603 cabinet and depending what cabinet is near you, you have to get the same modem to match ie an ECI modem or an MA5603 modem, is this right? and what is the difference between the two cabinets/modems
can i buy a really cheap VDSL2 router and make it into a modem only router and connect my pfsense firewall to it
pwatson
Rising Star

I believe that BT started off matching ECI to ECI and Huawei to Huawei but latterly didn't bother and often supplied ECI modems anyway.
This page shows some of the physical differences (and confirms that the Amazon unit is an ECI by the way)
roberkwild
Dabbler

how come BT dont offer these modems anymore?
nanotm
Pro

because they don't meet the requiremetns of SIN498......

http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/498v7p1.pdf
but then again nor does the home hub 5 perhaps that's part of the reason they have been pushing back roll out of some of the much needed network upgrades until after they have managed to transfer significant numbers across to the home hub 6 in each area .....