Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free web hosting dangers

cameron
Grafter

free web hosting dangers

pages like 000webhost.com ...
since I first checked this out seems to have blossomed.
It offers the lot and its all free and no ads and some of you will be sceptical.
In fact I think all  of you at  plusnet will be sceptical. 
So why am I bothering you with it.?
People are recommending it  and promoting it.
People I  know and  my response has to be to say no and walk away,
But there seem to be no warnings about the risks.
Sites on it now are looking very slick very professional. - posh link farms
Cameron.
7 REPLIES 7
geewizz
Grafter

Re: free web hosting dangers

What are the risks?
avalon
Grafter

To me the biggest risk would be that one day I'd wake up and find I'd got exactly what I'd paid for...nothing.
They have registered their domain through a proxy co to keep their details secret and have no address/tel no in the contacts section of their website.  There are basic errors in the text on their website which suggest English isn't their first language or they haven't put much effort into checking it.
Would you trust your site to them, let alone your personal contact details - or credit card if you wanted to upgrade?  Would you trust them with your e-commerce site?
I not only know my hosting co's office address.  I know where the owner lives! Cool
samuria
Grafter

There are many great free webhost out there I use 110.com and they have been great and offer everything free. When someone asked them to take down my site as they didnt like what I was saying even when it was true and they threatened them with court action they stud firm and kept the site up were as Plusnet took the same site down.
There was nothing illegal on the site just people didnt like the truth so it shows free can be good ow yes isnt plusnet free?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

samuria, was it to do with the car?
samuria
Grafter

No it wasnt the car it was complaints about a hospital  http://leightonhospital.110mb.com/
techguy
Grafter

Always a good idea to keep your connectivity provider separate from your hosting provider as its a lot eaiser to switching hosting provider and unfortunately in the UK we have a lot of that allow organisations to get away with stuff but calm down hard on you if you try and publicise it so am not surprised PN took your site down as if you were taking on an NHS hospital they have access to a large legal warchest of YOUR money.

Thing is though aren't 110 American so would probably laugh in the face of a legal threat
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

For the last few years I've used moved.in
Fair enough for about 3 months they seemed to go completely offline but now they're back again. Support is virtually none but I get everything. 150MB storage and 5GB transfer. Cpanel to manage the account, php4, MySQL etc.
It's also an invitation only service so it doesn't get bogged down with freeloaders as fast as many services would.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!