Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

formatting drive

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

formatting drive

Just installed windows 7 with no problems at all however I have tried to format my second hard drive but without success.
I get into disk management, click on the drive, format is in the menu (not blanked out) usual warning boxes appear about all data will be lost along with the option of format mode ie NTFS.  but after that nothing appears to happen anyone any ideas.
Windows 7 Ultimate
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
thisoldman
Grafter

Re: formatting drive

hi gleneagles.  sorry iv not much to add.  can i assume you have inspected the drive via device manager/properties and all is ok.
In the win 7 book it says after format selected you need to specify fat or nhs etc etc then continue.
If all that fails could you not use erasure or some other nuke type program to totally wipe drive.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't you have to partition the disk version and format each partition with your chosen file system?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks for your response......I Have managed to get it done. It's ages since I formatted a drive and that was using XP so I thought windows 7 might have been different.
Anyway the solution was very simple, in the same menu there is an option to delete the volume which I did and then was able to format the drive with no problems.
As you can gather I am not that clued up on computers so to most people the solution would have seemed obvious.
Anyway that one problem sorted, wish they were all that easy !
We are born into history and history is born into us.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Must admit I wouldn't have ticked the delete volume box either  Sad
M$ being consistent again  Shocked