cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firefox adblock filter lists?

scootie
Grafter

firefox adblock filter lists?

recentley installed firefox and installed the plugins WOT and ADBLOCK PLUS. confused as to which filter list to use with adblock as in adblocks settings the default filters to choice from are labled with diffrent contries and no UK one is there.
Can any one advise which is the best filter to use with adblock and where to get it from?
and also if you have any surrgestions on plugins for firefox that you find you cant live with out now that it would be wise for me to install?
cheers
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: firefox adblock filter lists?

I think the US one is probably the best fit and is the one I use.
I also update my hosts file from here http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm to block stuff. (also have squid running with adzapper as a proxy at home, but some might think that's overkill  Roll_eyes )
Also use British dictionary, Foxclocks, Google redesigned, Better Gmail.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

well not long after posting i saw this. fliter.g (www.pierceive.com) and went with that.
if that dosent do the job i will try your overkill setup.
thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I use Fireftp and Oldbar (to go back to the more compact auto complete view)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can add items to  the list as they appear Smiley
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
add items to the list

For example, for this forum I've added the google analytics script and any avatars that are not uploaded to the forum Wink
Method0ne
Grafter

Filterset.G is no longer updated as frequently (or possibly even at all) as the main sets listed in the AdBlock+ settings, though I used it myself until only very recently, it was only after I found it no longer updating itself that I started wondering about what potentially could and can cause harm to my system, even at the base level of hogging my bandwidth unneccessarily.
As regards what to use filters wise from AB+ - I use the first listed "Easylist + Easyelement" as standard, haven't looked into adding any others thus far as I haven't needed to, but I suppose you *could* go overkill and include them all, dont really see a benefit (and in fact it could be detrimental to browser loading and page loading times if you do), but I guess some filters may pick up certain things before others, depending on country/continent of origin.
For 'Fox plugins that are on my "do not run without installed" list, the only thing I run besides AB+, and that compliments it in such a way that it makes your browser a whole hell of a lot safer, is an extension called NoScript. Suprising that it hasn't been mentioned thus far as it's probably still in the top 5 most downloaded+higly rated+used+reccommended lists of all the 'Fox entensions, and in my experience with it so far, there is one solitary and pretty darn good reason for using it -  with NoScript, unless you whitelist it, it doesn't run. Period.
Regards,
Mr. Kev
Not applicable

I have used Adblock Plus for quite a while and recall subscribing to EasyList USA on installation. I have not done anything with it since then except that it does update itself regularly - last one 8th December 2008.
With regards to No Script I installed that about a couple of months ago and am getting on very well with it. I feel a lot more secure with it in place. The downside is that you have to remember to temporarily allow permissions before proceeding with financial transactions - I messed things up last week when paying for something so I had to redo it.
Head of the Kaspersky labs was on Click Online at the weekend and he was on about scripts being downloaded from infected websites so I was reassured that I had installed No Script.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Another vote for Easylist (USA) and as you will see below it updates itself very efficiently.
Cliff