Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file storage

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

file storage

I have all the files off my mother in laws computer on my backup drive.  This consists of photos videos etc, that are all memorable.  She dosnt have a PC/Laptop any more and only has an iPhone and a couple of iPads.

She currently has no way of seeing this data, as its on my backup drive at the moment.  I was looking at ways of making it accessible to her.  Its 35Gb of data.

I was thinking of a NAS box, but on reflection, and the likely usage of it, its probably not cost effective. I could export it all to the iCloud for her, and keep a copy on my drive, but she would have to pay for this, as I think i Cloud is only 5Gb for free access?Huh

What do people think of just getting a small external HDD, and when she wants to access anything, plug it into the USB port on her router.  Its a HH5. Can iPads etc access data like this?Huh

Does anyone have any other ideas.  She wont access it alot, but would like to see things if she wanted too, without too much hassle.  The data will never change, and I will always keep a copy here as well for backup purposes.

10 REPLIES 10
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: file storage

Hi @penfold 

Do you have a Amazon Prime account? If yes take a look at Amazon Photo's app.

Dan

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@penfold 

Totally differnet approach but does she have either a DVD recorder or Smart TV? Both of mine have the capability of showing photo's from a USB memory stick on the TV. In addition how about a DVD player connected to the TV?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, we both do. I will have a look.

Thanks

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Yes, she has a smart tv. I suppose I could get a large enough USB stick, or again use a USB HDD. It's a thought.....

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@penfold 

64GB for £8.49, not expensive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ50-064G-B35-Cruzer-Blade-Flash/dp/B00BX5FOCK/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hmmm Amazon sounds like a plan. She's mostly got photos. Need to see how much space the videos take, but she's got 5gb with Amazon and 5gb with colour  Or videos could go in a USB stick.....

Thanks for the advice......

Bill_C
Rising Star

Depending on your technical knowledge, Do you have a machine like a rapsberry pi handy you could hook up and leave running??

You could set up a small "media server" like "plex" on it and use that to share the photos and videos to her. She can then use the Plex app on her devices to access and view anything.

The pi might struggle during the initial set up as it tries to catalogue all 36Gb but once that's done it should be fine for a single user access.

You could either set it up at her location or have it set up on yours (depends on if you've a data cap or not).

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Google Photos gives you free and unlimited cloud storage - she'd just need the app installing on her iPad to view them if she hasn't got it already.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for all the advice... I think either Google or Amazon will be the way forward, as it's the free option😂😂

I did think if a media server but like the NAS option the amount of time that it may get used, likely outweighs the cost and time outlay.....

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't trust these cloud providers to continue to provide free cloud space.

Maybe the TV would accept a USB key?

Alternatively,

Is a DLNA TV available?

You could use a Raspberry Pi or PC to run a non-dedicated media server with some USB storage.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."