cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extracting 6.5mb zip in vista to take 2hrs

amcclean
Rising Star

extracting 6.5mb zip in vista to take 2hrs

I guess something is wrong here I have a amd 3000+ CPU 1gb of system ram 1gb speedboster and to extract 6.5mb it's telling me that it'll take 2hrs the speed is showing as 15 to 30kbps slower than my old dial up.
Currently running spybot etc to look for trojans etc have avg plus firewall.
Can anyone else succgest any other ideas why my pc has become so consitaped in this dept.
Other programs seam ok.
A
UPDATE SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY stops saying that it's been aborted by use when it has not.
6 REPLIES 6
Will
Grafter

Re: extracting 6.5mb zip in vista to take 2hrs

Make sure your running the latest version of Spybot as older versions are not vista compatible.
Also, are you zipping from a network drive?
amcclean
Rising Star

I have tried from a zip drive and an internal sata and ide.
I have just updated spybot.  I had presumed that the search for updates would have kept the version up dates as well but it appears that it only keeps the definitions updated as mine was 1.4 and current is 1.5.
Zipping worked today no problem. Unsure why as that's twice is slowed to a halt on to different days.
A
Will
Grafter

Check task manager and see if any programs are using up unnecessary pc power.
samuria
Grafter

How was it zipped and what are you using to unzip it?
Not all zips are born the same the new winzip 11 has a higher compression and some older style zip progs have a job coping with it. It also depends on whats in the zip file as most AV scan it so if it has a lot of small files that can add to the time.
Given all that with your pc it shouldn't take that long anyway unless its corrupt
God
Grafter

It might be worth trying it without your speed booster, (allegedly) they can slow vista down and won't work properly until SP1 in the new year.
Will
Grafter

I too had this last night. Installed WinRAR 3.70 and no more probs.