Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet cabling

juliasdream
Grafter

ethernet cabling

I want to run an ethernet cable from a router to an 8 port ethernet hub
Can anyone tell me if the uplink cable needs to be a crossover one or not.?
If so hat would be the order of colours at each end?
7 REPLIES 7
paulby
Grafter

Re: ethernet cabling

Most modern equipment will autosense the type of lead you plug in and configure the connection accordingly so it shouldn't matter which type you use.
You can try it by just plugging in a standard cable and seeing if it works!
This page will give you the wiring details for the different types of connection.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Normal cable, but most modern devices are "autosensing" anyway so wouldn't care.
chillypenguin
Grafter

If it does not auto sense then you will need a cross over.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It depends on the hub/switch design, some have a separate port for linking externally, others just a group of equivalent ports.
(Can't remember the last time I actually needed a crossover cable, though I have a little miniature one and an RJ45-RJ45 connector block just in case Wink )
chillypenguin
Grafter

I can remember Baynetworks hubs having a switch next to one of the ports.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I got 2 switches that both claim not to support autosensing and both do. These days I don't worry about crossover cables working or not. I just plug it in and if it works it works. Simple as that. When you got 2 switches and the instructions for both claim they don't support autosensing adn then you find they both do it sorta makes you wonder why you worry about it.
As I said... just plug in a cable and if it works then it works Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
seanbranagh
Grafter

If you do need to crossover there are several ways to do it. If you are happy to crimp yourself and have a crimping tool then just change one end of a standard UK patch lead from B to A as shown on the picture. This will then be a crossover cable. Another option is to just buy a pre-made crossover cable. The third option if you already have two standard patch leads is to buy a crossover coupler from maplin. I doubt you will need to do this though as it would be unlikely that at least one of the devices did not have autosensing ports. As mentioned most modern devides do.