cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emaildodo

penneck
Aspiring Pro

emaildodo

A club I belong to used to use systemthink for forwarding e-mails from any member to all other members (including back to the originator), but apparently systemthink had problems with certain types of e-mail addresses. The club has recently changed to using emaildodo (I'm not sure just what type of thing emaildodo and systemthink are). The new setup has been tested and all club members do receive these e-mails.
There appears to be one exception to this rule - I receive the e-mails from the others, but when I am the originator, it just disappears. emaildodo doesn't send it on, it doesn't send it back to me, and it doesn't seem to show up on emaildodo as having been received there.
Nobody in the club is an expert on emaildodo, but between us, we have checked that the e-mails I send have the correct emaildodo address, that my details on emaildodo is set up to expect emails from my e-mail address, and that the e-mails sent do indeed have my e-mail address on them.
My e-mail client is Mozilla Thunderball. I don't want to change my e-mail client because it is capable of sending bigger e-mails than other clients - sometimes I send videos as attachments.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I have this emaildodo problem, please?
My thanks in advance
9 REPLIES 9
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: emaildodo

I can think of several possibilities, but the answer probably depends on which mail service you are using. Thunderbird is your mail client, but are you using PlusNet's mail server or Hotmail or Gmail or ?. Is the collection POP or IMAP?
I don't know emaildodo, but a quick peruse suggests it relays the message to your registered e-mail address. So the mail system will see an inbound email addressed to you from you and with (I suspect) a message identifier that is one you sent.
It's possible that Thunderbird will simply drop such a message on the grounds that you already have a copy  - although I can't see anything in the account configuration that would control such behaviour. It's also possible that the mail service does the same thing. The emaildodo FAQ says 
"I do not get an eMail-copy when sending an eMail.
Some, eMail systems (like GMail, Google IMAP) do not submit an eMail which you have sent to yourselves to your [Inbox]. You can only see this message in [Sent] box, that's all.
With other programs like Outlook (POP) and Mac Mail (POP, iCloud, IMAP) you do receive a copy of the message."
Which suggest it is a known problem, but the answer is technically illogical as Outlook and MACmail are clients while Gmail and Google IMAP are mail services. I'm not sure what PlusNet's mail system would do with a message that it appears to have sent. It may drop it or pass it on.
As a test could you give yourself two different e-mail addresses on emaildodo, then send from one and see if you receive it at the other.
Another test would be to try a different mail client and see what it does. If it works, but Thunderbird doesn't, then its something to do with Thunderbird. If neither mail client works, then its the mail service or emaildodo. Set up a temporary free e-mail account somewhere ( Microsoft for example) and try  via that as a further diagnostic.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks wisty for your reply. I have tried webmail.plus.net as an alternative to Thunderbird, and I received a copy of my e-mail in my Thunderbird Inbox, so that does suggest the problem lies with Thunderbird. However, when we used to use systemthink, any e-mail I sent from Thunderbird to it would send a copy back to my Thunderbird Inbox, so that suggests that Thunderbird doesn't just drop any returned copies of e-mails I sent preventing them getting to my Inbox.
The returned copy of the email I sent using webmail.plus.net came back to my Inbox with the From address of the club's emaildodo account, so didn't have my own e-mail address
Normally, I use the PlusNet mail server, and the collection is POP
As I stated in my original post, I don't want to replace Thunderbird, but I would rather not have to use a different e-mail client just for my club e-mails if I can avoid it.
A thought that has just occurred to me is - could there be something in my Thunderbird setup that prevents sending to specific addresses, in which case how do I find it, and how do I change it? This could explain why our emaildodo account administrator doesn't find any sign of my missing e-mails at the emaildodo 'server' (not sure server is the correct description)
Thanks
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Could you try add yourself as an additional bcc address when you send mail to the group using Thunderbird?
Bit of a hassle though.
I know some people do this for every email they send (on some email clients).
"So I'll have a record of all emails that I have sent".
I don't understand that attitude though...  Cheesy
I tried sending a test email (with Thunderbird) to gmail with a bcc version to my main thunderbird address.
Both emails were received.
You might find https://emaildodo.com/help.php?page=faq useful.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello vilefox. Thankyou but I'm not sure your 'use bcc' suggestion will solve anything. If I send an email to anywhere other than emaildodo, it gets there, judging by the fact that the recipient replies. If I send an email to my club at emaildodo, it should forward a copy to ALL club members, including one to me (the other members don't seem to have a similar problem - the emails they send go to all club members including themselves). Not only do I not get the email back, none of the other members get it, and there is no sign that emaildodo ever received it in the first place. I'm don't actually need the copy back to me, I only use it to confirm that my e-mail was sent and that emaildodo had dealt with it
I have looked at the FAQ page. I don't know if the Replys set up is an 'across the board' setup, or whether each member has their own settings for this. I am not our emaildodo administrator so I am unable to look. He hasn't been administrator for long. In fact we have only been using emaildodo for a month or so, so none of us are experts. When I tried using webmail.plus.net instead of Thunderbird, emaildodo worked for me, but then it turns out (1) webmail gave my email a senders address that was different to either of the sender addresses from my two Thunderbird accounts, (2) the administrator had given my emaildodo account all three of these sender addresses, and (3) the administrator now tells me that my webmail sender address  seems to have deleted from emaildodo which the administrator accused me of doing - I had done no such thing.
VileReynard
Hero

Sounds like you ought to take over the admin duties.  Cheesy

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I have two email accounts in Thunderbird - postmaster@surname.plus.com and firstname@surname.plus.com. All emails were being sent from postmaster@, but I tried sending from firstname@ (I didn't know you could do that until today), and I got the copy back from emaildodo, and the club members also got it. I went into PlusNet Member Centre and found 'Manage My Mail'. This told me I had three accounts - surname@, firstname@ and postmaster@. The first two were described as Type Mailbox, but the postmaster@ was described as Type Alias.
Perhaps that is why the emails from postmaster@ weren't getting through.
Is there a way of changing postmaster@ to Type Mailbox, or does that cause other problems?
VileReynard
Hero

Go to "Manage my mail" on Plusnet https://portal.plus.net/my.html?AL3qz74UVw5Dls8%2FAGX24xGvNgoXUgKqC3f0fFmIgOsmrrsujjYNOoAbUr2%2FgAxC...
You can create mailboxes, aliases (which point to mailboxes) and other things. See the various tabs.
In the attached, you can see parts of email addresses.
For example, abc1@user.plus.com is an alias and its email will end up in the  alias@user.plus.com mailbox.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've been to 'Manage My Mail'. In there, I have postmaster@ as Type 'alias', plus others as Type 'Mailbox'. I want to change postmaster@ to Type 'Mailbox'. The edit process doesn't appear to be able to do that - it just allows me to have it point to a different Type Mailbox that I have. I suppose I could try to delete postmaster@ and then try to create a new postmaster@ as Type Mailbox, but that way may lead to disaster, which is where the greater knowledge of the forum comes in to suggest a way forward or to warn me not to go down that road.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Problem solved - sort of. It seems that (1) I cannot change postmaster@ to a Type Mailbox - it is reserved as an alias; (2) I can use emaildodo if I use my firstname@ account as my default e-mail address, and (3) the reason for using postmaster@ as the default e-mail address has been convincingly argued away as a pointless reason.
Anyway, my thanks to all for your help. This post is now closed