Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email clients

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

email clients

I've forgotten how long I've been using Thunderbird email, certainly before we moved here and that was approaching eighteen years ago. But I noted in my favourite computer magazine today that although Thunderbird has had a very recent update, Mozilla support for it is, to quote, "on borrowed time".

I'm wondering if anybody on this forum would like to recommend a replacement for Thunderbird. And also why any others are not recommended.

I do realise that this is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string", but educated comments would be appreciated.

Prior to Thunderbird I was happily using MS Outlook Express, but decided (and I can't remember why) to cease using any MS products other than operating systems and Office.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
18 REPLIES 18
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: email clients

It has become very hard to find decent email client software.  These days you are supposed to want to access your emails across multiple devices and ISPs are rapidly losing interest in providing their clients with email accounts.  So you are left with Microsoft and Google.  They want you to access your emails via their web sites so they can feed you advertisements.    

petlew
Pro

Thanks Reed Richards. I have considered going back to MS and using the Win 10 "Mail", but this has a flaw for me as it only allows a max of three accounts, and I currently have five, nor does it allow multiple contact .Cc/.Bcc, both essential for me, they're unlimited in Thunderbird. In fact Mail has not scored very highly in reviews at all.

I've also considered MS Outlook. I have this on my Office 2007 disc (but never installed it), but that version of Office is no longer going to be supported by MS very soon if it hasn't already stopped. So that may be going as well in favour of Libre Office.

I've also thought about dropping email from the PC altogether and relying on that embedded in my iPad/iPhone. Whilst it does allow multiple accounts, its not so good at some other elements.

In fact the only one that entirely meets my requirements is...Thunderbird.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@petlew

googling...  "alternative to Thunderbird"... gives this page

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alternative+to+thunderbird&oq=alternative+to+thunderb&gs_l=psy-ab....

Take your pick.... as a certain TV show host used to say  ! ! !..... Wink

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

When I looked at moving my better half's emails from XP and Outlook Express to Win 10 Thunderbird seemed to be the only one which did what was needed so the real question is - what will be the effect of it no longer being supported given that it works and does what she wants

petlew
Pro

Yes Old Jim, you're quite right. Its the potential security holes that might appear post support that are most worrying I suppose. I like to think Kaspersky as a safety net should be Ok. Kaspersky certainly has email protection, but is that enough...

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@petlew wrote:

I've also considered MS Outlook. I have this on my Office 2007 disc (but never installed it), but that version of Office is no longer going to be supported by MS very soon if it hasn't already stopped. So that may be going as well in favour of Libre Office.

If it helps I use Outlook 2003! I've not had any problems and its so old i doubt hackers will bother targetting it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why the dash to change from a stable product?

Email was defined & implemented many years ago - Thunderbird isn't going anywhere soon.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

petlew
Pro

I'm not rushing, just reacting to an article in this weeks Computer Active issue 513 p53. (I get mine before the shops as I subscribe to it, so its not out just yet). Its not a long article but I wouldn't think it a good idea to quote it verbatim. 

I'm not stopping using Thunderbird any time soon just yet, just like to be ready if its required.

@7up this makes interesting reading: http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/software/is-it-safe-to-use-an-old-version-of-microsoft-off...

Don't I recall, and I admit straight away I may be failing in memory here, but didn't you once say in forums that you decline to use any AV or security at all. If it wasn't you I apologise unreservedly.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't I recall, and I admit straight away I may be failing in memory here, but didn't you once say in forums that you decline to use any AV or security at all.

You recall correctly - but I don't use Microsoft products and I'm careful not to open unrecognised URL's in emails.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

I'm not sure if the lack of security products was aimed at me or vile.. but if it was me..

I use AV and security stuff but I don't install windows updates. They tend to cause more hassle than they solve IMO so i don't bother with them.

Strangely (and i'm sure my day will come) it's never caught up with me yet unlike millions of others round the planet who get had by all the latest attacks..

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@petlew wrote:

Yes Old Jim, you're quite right. Its the potential security holes that might appear post support that are most worrying I suppose. I like to think Kaspersky as a safety net should be Ok. Kaspersky certainly has email protection, but is that enough...

A long long time ago when you received an email with a file attachment then the email client program would helpfully open the attachment for you.  If the attachment was a program it would be executed.  This offered huge scope to infect a computer with a virus by sending an email because just the act of reading the email would execute the virus program.  Email client programs no longer automatically open attachments but the trauma from this time has left behind an exaggerated perception of the 'danger' of emails.   Reading an email is a perfectly safe activity and you do not need security software with "email protection".  If you try to open a virus file then your security software should protect you, whether or not that file arrived in an email.  Some security software will block links that lead to 'bad' web sites but, I think, only if the site is on a pre-existing database.     

petlew
Pro

@7up wrote:

If it helps I use Outlook 2003! I've not had any problems and its so old i doubt hackers will bother targetting it.

That hasn't prevented very high profile attacks on Win 98 systems, and that pre-dates Office 2003 by some way.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

7up
Community Veteran

You're talking about windows 98!

Office 2003 came around 5 years odd later.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@petlew wrote:

That hasn't prevented very high profile attacks on Win 98 systems, and that pre-dates Office 2003 by some way.

Not such a high profile that I have heard of them.  Can you cite a reference?  Where Windows 98 still exists it is most likely to be embedded in some system.