cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay P&P

seanbranagh
Grafter

eBay P&P

I bought a used 15" LCD monitor from eBay last night. UK delivery was listed at £9.75. There were no variations on this for different areas of the UK.
I live in the UK (northern Ireland) but now the seller is asking for £24 postage. The item only cost £14!
Surely he has to post for the price quoted for UK delivery as I live in the UK and he didn't specify any variations?
I have tried to contact eBay for further info but that is like trying to contact any large company, almost impossible.
15 REPLIES 15
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: eBay P&P

Just found the answer in eBays help pages. It states that the seller must list any variations beforehand and cannot add a surcharge after the listing has ended. Just as I hoped. I feel a little guilty that the seller will now make a loss but it is his on stupidity and a good lesson learned.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

That's good news.  Some time ago ebay was concerned about sellers who were showing low prices and then making it up with outrageous P&P.  They now monitor P&P so they would be interested in your problem.
Recently I bought a PC (Tower only) on eBay which was bought from a seller in N.Ireland.  I paid £10 for delivery via DHL.   
seanbranagh
Grafter

Most more experienced sellers will always state something like UK Mainland and ask for a quote to NI of Scottish Highlands like when I bought a bicycle recently.
P&P becomes very important when the item only costs £14.
£10 delivery was good from here. We usually get well ripped of by companies not just eBay. I stopped using Dabs for that reason because it would almost have been cheaper to fly over and collect the parts myself  Grin
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Dabs seems an odd example.
I buy quite a lot from them and it almost all seems to come by Royal Mail who presumably charge the same?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Indeed, Royal Mail/Parcelforce charge the same for all the UK, and will shift a hell of a weight for £24. Is the seller perhaps unaware that NI is in the UK, and has been looking up rates for Ireland (republic)?
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
seanbranagh
Grafter

I politely informed the seller of their mistake and appologized to them for the fact that they may loose money on the sale. They have since replied with an extremely rude email stating that UK and UK Ireland (wherever that is) are not the same thing which leads me to beleive that they may be a foreign national. They have also called me a cheeky git and suddenly found a carrier for the origanal £9.75. I find this very suspicious. This item had better arrive very very quickly in perfect condition or I will be thinking very carefully about my feedback.
I will wait until I have calmed down tomorrow before deciding on wether or not to make a complaint to eBay, if I can find the option.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Here it is:
"Lesson leaned you cheeky git, If you think Ill be paying you £10 to have the monitor your having a laugh. YOu obviously do this all the time, which is why you missed the country out of your address.
Uk ond UK ireland are different things to all postak systems and you know it.
Anyway, I have found a carrteir for the £9, so its on its way.
Dont bid on anything of mine again."

Didn't realize eBay doesn't list UK on my address. Surely the fact that I have a UK postcode is a dead giveaway Grin
HPsauce
Pro

Just a bit of advice in case it goes wrong.
If at all possible avoid confirming you have it until you've checked it out.
If there's a problem and you need to claim via PayPal they will insist you send it back, usually at your expense (unless it's a business seller when distance selling regs apply), to get a refund via them.
Non-delivery is different.
I stupidly tried to claim for something that was sent to me from a seller listed as in the UK but that actually came from the USA and the wrong item was shipped. Despite the blatant fraud eBay/PayPal INSISTED I sent it back using a TRACKABLE service to the USA. It had NOT been sent to me using a trackable service, just cheap US Mail. I've learnt my lesson.  Angry
PS It's The United Kingdom (UK) of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That includes Shetland and the Scillies too, but NOT the Channel Islands.
Your seller is a rude ignorant idiot.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I really don't understand his complaint about my not including the country in my address. Aside from my postcode, my information is clearly shown to the seller including my location as Down, United Kingdom.
I will not be leaving any feedback or confirming any delivery until the item is fully tested and working as stated in the listing.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Keep a copy of ALL communications, you should set up a folder on your desktop for this, and copy ALL your emails to it, and also ALL your ebay communications, (both ways) and if possible in chronological order....
Ebay & Paypal disputes take forever (and I do mean forever..... 3 - 4 months + ) to get down to a result of some sort.... so don`t expect your money back next week....
If you have copied the text of the message from the seller, letter for letter, then it looks like he/she is not very well educated, and uses "strange" language. The presentation of your facts in a logical manner will, I am sure, help in your claim (if you go that route)
Good Luck....
DO NOT leave any feedback at all..... You don`t have to... ....  do you leave messages outside your local shop,/ bus stop/ pub/ cafe/ etc..... to influence people?  If you do go to dispute, your words in the feeback section (and any response from the seller) will be included in the "investigation"....
seanbranagh
Grafter

The seller really does not have a clue. As stated earlier he claims that I left the country out of my address. I checked the paypal receipt as he will have received and it has my full address including country as United Kingdom. He obviously thinks that I am supposed to include Northern Ireland before that which is not the case and I don't think I would even have the option. Do other properly formatted UK addresses include Scotland, England etc?
The text from the seller was copied and pasted directly from the email.
I always keep all communications and will happily dispute this one if it comes to that!
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: 4Candles
Indeed, Royal Mail/Parcelforce charge the same for all the UK, and will shift a hell of a weight for £24.

Not quite; Parcelforce prices for account customers are divided in to three different delivery zones for the United Kingdom. So companies such as Dabs, who would have an account with them (if they even use PF, I don't know), would have to pay more to send something to Northern Ireland.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Thanks for the clarification Thomas - I wasn't aware of that.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
HPsauce
Pro

All I can say is that I've never had anything from Dabs by Parcelforce, not that I remember.
Everything recently, admittedly not too heavy (but often big) has been brought by the normal postie.
Other stuff I get comes via various couriers, HDNL being by far the most frequent.