cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail icon

firefly2
Grafter

e-mail icon

Hi, I have had to have my hard drive wiped clean  and since re-installing the e-mail, all of the msges come with a paper-clip even tho' there is no attachment. can any-one help me stop it happening  please.  Huh firefly2
12 REPLIES 12
Denzil
Grafter

Re: e-mail icon

Which email client are you using - Outlook Express/Thunderbird/other? Are sure it is doing this for plain text emails? Even small images embedded in the email could show up as an attachment.
firefly2
Grafter

Hi, I am using outlook express but previously it went via plus net but now I think I have just "outlook express" actually I have just received an e-mail from plus net and that didn't have the paper-clip. have asked son to send a tester so will see what that has. thanks . will let you know outcome . firefly2 Roll_eyes
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

http://getthunderbird.com
Wink
On a related note though, I can't say I've personally come across that problem before (however I've not used Outlook Express for a few years now).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulh
Rising Star

I think I had this issue ages ago, and found it to do with using avg anti-virus with email scanner switched on.
If you are using AVG, have a look at this thread on the AVG forum which might answer the question (which found by googling for "outlook express attachments avg certify email")
paul
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just looked at my outlook express files.
I have AVG Scan on at all times.  nothing to do with that.
The only ones with paper clips are all rich text format
The only one without are plain text

Rich text format e-mails are the ones that can carry hidden viruses Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

had a more intensive look.
you can stop the paper clip if you want by right clicking on the top bar that has to, from, title et., then columns and unclick the attachment box
You can read in only text mode by going to tools, options, read and click text only, but I dont know if this will display rich text
An observation -  the Mail from Plus Net is general plain text, but for some reason the Auto mail fron the forum. although purely text is in rich text mode
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: firefly2
...the msges come with a paper-clip even tho' there is no attachment. can any-one help me stop it happening  please.  Huh firefly2

Open Outlook Express, Create New Message, click Format, then 'untick' 'Send pictures with message' (which will be ticked already).
HTH  Smiley
firefly2
Grafter

Thank-you everyone for all of your suggestions. Had power cut off at home[ not for not paying ] the power station blew up !!! and my new pup chewed the connection from pc to  line so needed new. I will have a go re all of  Smiley the suggestions and report on outcome /. thanks firefly2
firefly2
Grafter

Think that I have cracked it re icon. Previously had norton360 and replaced with AVG when hard drive cleaned up. have tweaked some of the settings in e-mail scanning and  it seems to have done the trick. thanks to all firefly2 Smiley
bobboulby
Grafter

Hi firefly2,
I've also recently changed from Norton to AVG (free edition) and have exactly the same problem. Please could you let me know which settings you tweaked.
Thanks - Bob
pierre_pierre
Grafter

see my reply 5 and 6 above
firefly2
Grafter

Hi Bob. I clicked on the e-mail box of AVG then think went into configure and unticked 2 boxes that said " certified copy ". to and from. after that sent one to myself and it came without . hope you lucky too . firefly2 let me know  Smiley will have look elsewhere.  Grin