cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dynamic disc and windows 7 reinstall

dgk
Grafter

dynamic disc and windows 7 reinstall

A few months ago I upgraded my laptop from Vista to Windows 7 professional, I did a custom installation, formatted and partitioned the hard drive. Unfortunately I formatted the new partitions as dynamic. I am now trying for backup purposes to make an image on my hard disk using Acronis True Image Home 2010 but this program does not support Windows dynamic disks.
I think I will reinstall Windows 7 this time making sure I select Basic for the drives, but my Windows 7 installation disk is an upgrade one, can I use it to reinstall Windows 7 if Windows 7 is already installed?
At present the laptop’s drive has five partitions do I need to change this so that there is just one partition (C drive) before I start the Windows 7 installation or during the installation can I select each partition in turn and then reformat that partition as a basic drive?
I have Microsoft office 2007 installed, this was a three license version. I was intending to use the other two on my PC and the wife's laptop. When I come to reinstall office on my laptop will it use up another one of my licenses.
2 REPLIES 2
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: dynamic disc and windows 7 reinstall

Quote from: dgk
can I use it to reinstall Windows 7 if Windows 7 is already installed?

Yes
At present the laptop’s drive has five partitions do I need to change this so that there is just one partition (C drive) before I start the Windows 7 installation or during the installation can I select each partition in turn and then reformat that partition as a basic drive?

I'm not sure but aren' t these dynamic partitions?  So during installation you will probably need to first reformat the disc.  After that you can create as many new partitions as you need
I have Microsoft office 2007 installed, this was a three license version. I was intending to use the other two on my PC and the wife's laptop. When I come to reinstall office on my laptop will it use up another one of my licenses.

Good question but it shouldn't as you are just re-installing Office on the same computer.  If the worst comes to the worst you will have to activate Office over the telephone and explain what happened. 
puddy
Grafter

Re: dynamic disc and windows 7 reinstall

my Windows 7 installation disk is an upgrade one, can I use it to reinstall Windows 7 if Windows 7 is already installed?

Yes you can, i always buy dell computers and spec windows 7 ultimate 64bit reinstall disk i got the basic win 7 for 2 laptops but spec the ultimate win 7and  i found i can put it on my dell computers without puting any passwords or codes in.  So if it’s the manufactures reinstallation disk it should work the same way even with an update disk

No you can enter the same code sometimes up to ????? times (they keep it a secret) before it will ask you to phone Microsoft to reset the code/counter
puddy