cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dvd recorder or pc dvd writer?

bubbalicious
Grafter

dvd recorder or pc dvd writer?

I have been asked to make 50-60 dvds of a local village childrens charity pantomime....lucky me, (only joking) Smiley
I have 2 ways of making them, and was wondering if one or the will give more reliable / compatible /better quality results.
using a laptop to make them, i have a program called serif movieplus, or I have a toshiba tv dvd / hdd recorder, the discs come out as dvd-video format! I do have the original camcorder device they used for the show!
If Laptop, do I need to write them as a particular format, I know using 8x write speed is less likey to cause problems....well I think!,
Any tips, most welcome,  Cheesy
9 REPLIES 9
picbits
Rising Star

Re: dvd recorder or pc dvd writer?

Make one DVD as a master, test it on a couple of players then create an image on your laptop and make duplicates on that - far easier and faster than creating 40 of them in "real time" on a DVD Recorder.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Wonderful, thanks Dom,  sounds like a perfect plan!  I didn't realise the DVD recorder would copy in real time, crikey a 2hour show, It would take me forever!
Advice much appreciated, Thank you Grin Grin

picbits
Rising Star

Not sure if the dvd / hdd recorder would do a realtime or best speed copy but worth a test.
Maybe run the two together and halve the time if they both work at a faster speed than realtime Smiley
bubbalicious
Grafter

Crikey, the dvd/hdd recorder did indeed copy at real time and then had to finalise - over 2 hours!!!  I have just copied it over to the laptop and copied that way and it's much much quicker! 
I did get a bit sidetracked finding a movieplus program I have can add pretty titles and menus to the discs - as if i haven't got enough to do, but its definitely the quicker option, but then like you say I could use both and run them off a bit quicker!
The quicker the better, lets just say some of the singing is painful to hear and after 50 times I think I might be completely bonkers!!! Crazy Crazy(well more than I am already)!!  Oh the things we do for charity!!!
Anyway I am going to give one of each disc to my sister to check on her DVD and make sure before I go any further!!!
Thanks again Dom S,  I desperately want to get this right for all the parents of the show kiddes. You have removed  the little hesitation I have when I think I know but worry I don't, it's been a big relief someone is helping me
picbits
Rising Star

When you copied it to the lapotp, did you do it as an image ?
You should make an image from the DVD, store that image on your laptop then burn it onto subsequent discs.
I use a program called imgburn - it is free (just watch which link you click to get it) and is a no-nonsense writer.
Also when installing anything, make sure it doesn't try and install anything other than the program you want (i.e. "extra" bloatware programs)
*Edit - good download from here : http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe
bubbalicious
Grafter

Oops.....dont think I did copy it as an image :-[..... i put  the disc in my laptop and then copied the contents to 'my videos' then imported the media files to movieplus and copied them to the dvd? The files were several video_ts files.... have I messed up....is that way not the same as copying as an image?
I used to have Roxio media creator (or version of) on every laptop i've had until I moved from buying sony to samsung.    I didnt get any such program preinstalled on new laptop as there was no dvd drive in it this time! Guess I got lazy relying on Roxio, it was always what I used for making dvds, cds of anykind!  Roll_eyes
:Dthanks for the link Dom, I always worry about downloading software I find myself on the internet, especially free stuff, and what comes with it, I was debating whether to buy roxio, but I love how simple and straight forward the free one looks! The movieplus I have is rather involved for what I do!
picbits
Rising Star

What you need to do is try one of the DVDs you've made on an old dvd player - if it works then you're fine.
I've used imgburn for many years now - never had an issue with it although I vaguely remember the latest version gives you the option to install search toolbars or similar (just decline anything other than imgburn). Once you have a working DVD, create an image from it on imgburn then use that image to create exact duplicates of subsequent DVDs.
Another tip is to use DVD-R discs as they are more compatible with normal DVD players and burn at a slower rate than maximum.
bubbalicious
Grafter

HOORAH - SUCCESS - 25dvds copied, 25 dvds to do!!! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin
Thanks Dom, I did exactly what you suggested, (luckily I had bought the printable type of8x DVD-r,) made a master DVD, copied it using Imgburn, tried it in 4 DVD players..TV ones and Pc ones and no issue!  That Imgburn is simple and ideal for everything I ever do with DVDs or CDs -perfect!
Happy, relieved and utterly grateful!!
Now all I need to do is print the design on the DVD fronts and job done!  They should be happy, they usually pay £5.00 per DVD (cost!!) I've managed to keep the costs to £30 for 50 -  DVDs, Cases and ink, the lot! 
Coudn't have done it without the forum and Dom S, you have been magnificant!!!!!
Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin
picbits
Rising Star

Glad to help Smiley
Enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend Cheesy