Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dreamweaver 8 help please

netreg
Grafter

dreamweaver 8 help please

Hi all,
i'm still learning dreamweaver and as a result i gotta couple of questions..
q1 - can you link to an area on another page..  I know you can use anchors but from what i understand, you can link to those if they are on the same page you are currently viewing..  Huh
q2 - i want to have a text box that reads (preferably formated) text in from a text file or windows document... is this possible  Huh
thanks in advance
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: dreamweaver 8 help please

Hi there,
I can answer Q1: Yes you can, just put the bookmark link directly after the link to the new page - I think this is correct.

<a href=http://www.yoursite.com/subfolder/page.html#bookmark>link to given section of page</a>

As to Q2, I think you'll need javascript or php to be able to do this and I'm not knowledgable enough to advise though google did turn up some interesting results.
netreg
Grafter

Hi, i tried that but it didnt seem to work...  let me give it a go..  could be my old mate cache playing tricks on me....
regards
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of previous post - it is not needed in this situation. : link:rules
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies, I forgot the quotes. The above should be:
<a href="http://www.yoursite.com/subfolder/page.html#bookmark">link to given section of page</a>

Sorry about that... hope that makes the difference.
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Apologies, I forgot the quotes. The above should be:
<a href="http://www.yoursite.com/subfolder/page.html#bookmark">link to given section of page</a>

Sorry about that... hope that makes the difference.

yep, got it thanks, that works Smiley
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: netreg
q2 - i want to have a text box that reads (preferably formated) text in from a text file or windows document... is this possible  Huh

It's very possible. The only problem is how far you want to go with regards to data sanatising and the like. If it's for your own personal use and is behind a good password and login schema, then maybe 10-40 lines of code depending on what you want to do with it (you say you want it formatted).
If you are opening it to the public, then there would need to be a lot of things to check prior to allowing it to sit on your server, and in which case I would nip over to somewhere like Hot Scripts and looking for something pre-built and tested there.
If it's only for yourself, I'd be happy to give pointers (usually I'd write you up the code, but I'm swamped with work at the moment).
Everything I'm referring to is using PHP by the way (I don't like JavaScript since all it takes is someone to have it turned off and boom).
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
Quote from: netreg

It's very possible. The only problem is how far you want to go with regards to data sanatising and the like. If it's for your own personal use and is behind a good password and login schema, then maybe 10-40 lines of code depending on what you want to do with it (you say you want it formatted).
If you are opening it to the public, then there would need to be a lot of things to check prior to allowing it to sit on your server, and in which case I would nip over to somewhere like Hot Scripts and looking for something pre-built and tested there.
If it's only for yourself, I'd be happy to give pointers (usually I'd write you up the code, but I'm swamped with work at the moment).
Everything I'm referring to is using PHP by the way (I don't like JavaScript since all it takes is someone to have it turned off and boom).

thanks for the offer..  I will take a look at hotscripts..  Its not that important that i would need to go to the depth of writing code..  It is more of a nice to have...  Grin
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

If you are interesting in the coding of it, this will be of great help Smiley
samuria
Grafter

Dreamweaver will do it all for you if you use XML and select the data source.
XML is very simple and can be done via a text editor the best o fit is that XML can contain CCS as well and it can be searched as in effect its a database
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
Dreamweaver will do it all for you if you use XML and select the data source.
XML is very simple and can be done via a text editor the best o fit is that XML can contain CCS as well and it can be searched as in effect its a database

cool, i like the idea of using xml..  thanks again to all who have taken the time to reply.