cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain hosting for compression ??

trugmaker
Dabbler

domain hosting for compression ??

I need to compress my website but after an attempt with GZIP, which didn't work, I was told by a PlusNet person on Live Chat, that GZIP wasn't supported. He advised that I should be hosted by a better host as PlusNet hosting was "extremely basic". What I am concerned about, is that if I change my host will I drop down the google search and will there be any 'downtime' while the transition takes place?

8 REPLIES 8
C1Rider
Grafter

Re: domain hosting for compression ??

Hello, Presumably you want to zip your site to save as a backup, I don't know about PLusNet sites but maybe you are trying to zip files/folders that you don't have permissions for. As for dropping down Google's list it's my understanding that it's based on your site name so if your site's called fred.co.uk and it's at ipaddress 1.1.1.1 and you move fred.co.uk to ipaddress 2.2.2.2 then DNS will know that and you shouldn't loose your place in Google's " queue ".. ..
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming I understand you correctly what you want to do is done via the HTTP mod_deflate extension in Apache, you can either modify the site's .htaccess file or add the configuration to Apache's configuration file. For .htaccess you can try this:

<ifModule mod_gzip.c>
mod_gzip_on Yes
mod_gzip_dechunk Yes
mod_gzip_item_include file .(html?|txt|css|js|php|pl"py)$
mod_gzip_item_include handler ^cgi-script$
mod_gzip_item_include mime ^text/.*
mod_gzip_item_include mime ^application/x-javascript.*
mod_gzip_item_exclude mime ^image/.*
mod_gzip_item_exclude rspheader ^Content-Encoding:.*gzip.*
</ifModule>

If this fails to work remove it and replace it with this:

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html

Adding a new line with the applicable mime type for each content type you want to compress.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

the standard Plusnet webspace doesn't support Apache

Anonymous
Not applicable

REALLY! Well, err, em Lips_are_sealed

trugmaker
Dabbler

I keep getting told PlusNet doesn't support GZIP or Apache - so my question is What is the answer? There must be a way to compress I just cannot believe NO-ONE who is hosted by PlusNet has a compressed site! If so, why are we using PlusNet as a host? Is there a more expensive PlusNet package that will allow compression? I want compression for SEO not because I want to save my site or because it is very large (which it's not). Come on PlusNet, what is the answer? I have in the past recommended PlusNet to many, but cannot any more with a clear conscience.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trugmaker - If my original assumption is correct and if what @Oldjim says is also correct then you only have two options and one choice.

Option One - Upgrade to a Plusnet package that will allow you to maintain your own virtual server, assuming there even is one!

Option Two - Move elsewhere, which I suspect is what you will have to do.

Also note that what @C1Rider said regarding the migration of DNS will not affect your rankings so moving site should have no adverse effects on your ranking but as Jim states below there may be an outage for up to (possibly) 48 hours while the DNS update(s) propagates around the world.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To be brutally honest - nobody should be using an ISP "free" hosting for a commercial site

You need to move your hosting to a proper hosting company and accept that you may have up to 24 hours downtime while the DNS propagates

Note that there used to be a CGI option with Plusnet but that was withdrawn for non users some time ago as I found out when I was looking to try Wordpress on my Plusnet hosted site

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

You need to move your hosting to a proper hosting company and accept that you may have up to 24 hours downtime while the DNS propagates

There won't be any downtime if the old site is kept up whilst the DNS updates and only turned off after it is complete.