cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

different transfer rates

firmager
Grafter

different transfer rates

Hey guys this is a bit of a weird problem. I have 2 computers on my home wireless network (using a Belkin wireless G router). Both recieve a Very Good - Excellent connection. However one computer can only download from the internet at speeds rarely surpassing 1500kbps (often only about 1/3 of this speed), whereas the other (a laptop i don't actually use very much) quite happily downloads from the net of speeds continually surpassing 4000kbps. Huh
Any ideas on what is going on and how i can up the speed on my computer??!
3 REPLIES 3
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: different transfer rates

Are they similar in specification - processor speed, memory, wireless connection type (g not b) etc.
If so, I'd firstly try with a LAN cable and then look at tuning MTU/RWIN
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/rwin_video.shtml
firmager
Grafter

Well the computer that's running at a slower download speed is actually a higher spec machine and has a wireless G Belkin network adaptor. I've tried tuning MTU/RWIN to the plus.net recommendation, form the link you gave, but still to no avail. Will try using a LAN cable later on when i have more time. Any other ideas as to what's up???
firmager
Grafter

ok i just tried changing from channel 11 to channel 6, and this seems to have sorted the problem out for the time being.