cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

destop

tynygongl
Grafter

destop

I have a new computer - Acer - and when I open anything from desktop it only opens half size (then I have to maximize) Acer told me to do a factory restore; it took 2 hrs and hasn't solved the problem. Any ideas? I am no expert!
23 REPLIES 23
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: destop

Do you get the same thing if you double click on the exe file rather than the short cut
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Explain to Acer that the factory reset did not fix the problem so they must replace it under warranty.
tynygongl
Grafter

To Oldjim,
sorry, but I don't know what you mean by exe file
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It's an executable file, a file with .exe after it's name such as firefox.exe
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If you right button click an item (program shortcut) on the desktop, then select 'properties' from the pop-up menu there should be a box where you can select to run in 'Normal window', 'Minimized' or 'Maximized' (Microsoft's spelling, not mine), does selecting 'Maximized' have the desired effect?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you have this problem and it survived a factory reset then hundreds of other people who bought the same model of computer built at about the same time will have the same problem.  Acer should be becoming aware of this and it's up to Acer to find a fix for you.  Take it back to the shop if necessary.
tynygongl
Grafter

1. I still don't know what you mean by an exe file, and I don't understand how this might help. ( I am a complete novice to how computers work)
2. I've tried properties on desktop item but I can't find anything saying minimize, maximize etc.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Lets go back to basics
When you say click on anything on the desktop do you mean in the task bar or something you have saved to the desktop such as a picture or do you mean the start menu accessed from the globe on the lower left
tynygongl
Grafter

To Oldjim,
First, thanks for your patience! I have created a number of shortcuts to my desktop eg. Google as homepage, Plusnet etc. It is these which only open half size. I have tried opening from the Windows menu and this seems to be OK. Hope this is clear.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If the Google "Search Page" is opening "half size", you may have it set as default.  (without realising it) ....
At the top right corner check on the little boxes... look at the middle box, next to the X..... if it is showing as a single square box, this is showing the page as a "small size".  If it is showing as two overlapping boxes it is showing it as "full size"...
If it is showing as a single box, click on it, and the page will (should) revert to Full Size,... now close the page by clicking on the X...  next time you click on the short cut for Google..... it should open as a full size page...
(Hopefully !  Cheesy )
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Those shortcuts all open Internet Explorer and as such the chances are that it is the Internet Explorer settings which are the problem or are there other shortcuts which aren't internet related which have the same effect
Is this a correct assumption
tynygongl
Grafter

Oldjim,
The answer is Yes.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you open Internet Explorer by itself is it full screen or windowed - by that I mean half size
tynygongl
Grafter

Oldjim,
If I open IE itself, it's full-size.
To Shutter: I've checked your suggestion but it didn't apply, thanks though