Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ddr2 ram upgrade

craig_p
Grafter

ddr2 ram upgrade

hi all
ive just bought some more ddr2 ram for my desktop.  i have installed it but XP only sees 512 mb of the 1 GB stick. ive tryed it in another m/c and its not a faulty stick.  its the correct ram for my motherboard(msi7222) but im stuck as to why it wont work.  all updates are there so i need a bit of help. any ideas?
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: ddr2 ram upgrade

Think there was a similar post to this a short while back...make sure your largest memory stick is in the 1st slot usually 0 or 1 your MB manual should tell which one.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
samuria
Grafter

Check you MB manual as to which slot it has to go in and which is the one for the largest, you may also have duel channel and have to put 2 sticks in.
Also check you dont have shared video memory taking some of the ram.
What does the bios see as the memory size?
craig_p
Grafter

ive 512 mb all ready installed and there is 64 mb for video mem.  I was thinking that it might be a bios problem? 
ill try the slot 0 or slot 1 option tomoz. had a look in bios but could not find any ref to memory size.  thanks for the advise.  ill report back soon

craig p
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Some BIOS report RAM in Kb rather than Mb which can "look" a very different figure. But I'd be very very surprised if the figure was not in BIOS somewhere. May even give you the slot location as well.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Try using cpu-z to determine the ram windows thinks is installed. If it does not show up then either the ram is incompatible, your BIOS has not detected it or you have a faulty Mobo.
Denzil
Grafter

I think you'll find that MB has dual channel memory. That means you must have identical memory cards in both slots.
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=PM8PM-V&class=mb
As you have two different cards it is making them the same by only using half the second one.
craig_p
Grafter

hi
i think you are correct. tried it in another comp of mine with 1 gig of mem and it worked fine.  thanks.  i have today updated the bios for the motherboard and now have lost all connection to my network . ive tried everything but nothing seems to work.  i forgot to save the old bios settings and think thats caused the fault.  any advise on how to reinstate the old bios would be GREAT
thanks
craig p
craig_p
Grafter

hi all again
just sorted out the bios fault and also network issue.  put a pci network card in and away we go.  thanks for the help.
rock on plusnet forums!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR
craig p