cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

d-link DSL-2640B PAYG issue

igg23

d-link DSL-2640B PAYG issue

I've recently set up a d-link DSL-2640B wireless router for my PAYG Plusnet broadband (option 1). However, the problem is that I can't get it to stop being connected to the internet when it is inactive so it eats up all my PAYG allowance. I can tell because when I look at my usage online, it has been on all night. I've tried setting the maximum idle timer to 300 secs but the quick user guide said this was only relevant if your ISP is using PPPoE connection and Plusnet uses PPPoA so I wasn't surprised that didn't work. Is there any way to solve this problem?
Ian
7 REPLIES 7
paulby
Grafter

Re: d-link DSL-2640B PAYG issue

If your usage is in the order of 100kb to 200kb overnight it'll not use up your allowance as:
1. Overnight usage is free and doesn't count toward your allowance and
2. It'll take a few years to use up 1GB with those low levels of usage.
1000kb=1MB 1000MB=1GB
Assuming 100kb/day overnight:
No. of kb in 1GB = 1000 x 1000 = 1,000,000
Therefore 1,000,000 / 100 = 10,000 days to use up 1GB

The levels of usage you see overnight are perfectly normal and are due to background traffic on the internet.  You can safely leave your router on 24/7 and not come anywhere near using up your allowance!
igg23

The thing is that it is using a lot larger amount than that. On a day when I wasn't in my flat at all but my wireless router was on, my broadband usage was 6.4MB during the night and 12.9MB during the day (makes sense as the day part is twice as long as the night part). It's the latter bit that's worrying me as that is part of my allowance. I've checked my security and no-one else is using my wireless. It's classified as "others" when I look at my summary of my broadband usage online.
Any other suggestions?
Ian
James
Grafter

To be honest, the best way of avoiding any background traffic being present on your line would be to disconnect your router when you weren't using it.
paulby
Grafter

@igg23
Have you turned the PlusNet firewall on?  That can reduce the amount of background traffic on your connection. 
igg23

My firewall is on but only on low. I think I'm just going to have to remember to switch it off when I'm not using it. A shame that I'll have to get up in a morning to turn it on so I can surf in bed but such is life. Also it's a pity that a solution exists if it is PPPoE but not if it's PPPoA (not that I understand the difference. It's only one letter so they must be similar).
Ian
scootie
Grafter

I think u get the same result of not having any background noise if u just log in to the router and disconnect from the internet.
that way u could just wake up, boot computer up, log into router and connect to internet.
all with out leaving your bed. Smiley
igg23

No such joy. My other "computer" is an iPod touch and it's not playing nicely with the router but enough to surf. Looks like the turning things off option is winning still.
How does other Plusnet Pay As You Go users deal with allowances on other wireless routers? Really is it just silly having a fixed allowance with wireless?