Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copying problem

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

copying problem

For some odd reason my computer is failing to copy files from one drive to another.
No error messages. It seems to get half way through and then just sticks at that point. Message says 2 minutes to complete download except it does not !
Tried moving files to DVD using CDXP (yes it works on windows 7) but it fails to find a drive to write the files to.
Can't be anything to do with the dvd writer as that would not be needed for transfer of files to an external hard drive.
Before going down the route of system restore is there anything simple I need to check out ?
Thanks
We are born into history and history is born into us.
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: copying problem

What OS are you using... earlier versions of vista had problems copying files which was partially fixed in SP1
Denzil
Grafter

This might be a clue  Smiley
Quote from: gleneagles
(yes it works on windows 7)

Do all file transfers fail, even if you try copying different files? Just confirm for us, you are copying to an external USB drive, yes? Are its drivers up to date? Is it full?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Using windows 7 Ultimate. (32 bit)
External drive is 50% empty, have also tried external drive on a second machine and files transfer with no problem (both to and from the drive)
I have a second internal hard drive and files will not transfer there either.
What I have noticed is that the speed of the computer in loading any program is getting very slow but malware bytes and avast don't show up any viruses ?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: gleneagles
....What I have noticed is that the speed of the computer in loading any program is getting very slow but malware bytes and avast don't show up any viruses

So maybe the problem lies with the hard disc you are trying to copy from?  Could it be that it is reaching the end of its life? 
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Is there any simple way I can check that out.
No problem In  purchasing a new hard disk but I don't want to spend money if that is not the problem.
The disk is fairly quite but don't know if that proves anything.
pnf
Grafter

If your drives are S.M.A.R.T. enabled you can check them out using the following free software:
http://www.acronis.co.uk/homecomputing/products/drive-monitor/
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for that link.
The drives are showing as OK but there was a critical message warning.........."System failed to flush data to transaction log. Corruption may occur "
Will check this out.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

What a nightmare this has been, tried everything to get the computer to recognise my DVD/CD writer but with no luck, Microsoft identifies the problem as some upper filters that need to be removed in the register but this didn't work either.  I recall installing Comodo time Machine on my computer ages ago but was not to impressed as it tended to slow things down,
however with nothing to lose, booted it up and hey presto, it allowed me to return to a snapshot of 6 months ago and that solved the problem, DVD/CD drive is now recognised and working so it was an easy matter to update anti virus software, firewalls etc.
Not bad for a free program.