Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

continuous beeps from computer

juliasdream
Grafter

continuous beeps from computer

I don't know if its the processor or the motherboard
Everything was working ok until I took out the power supply to test out another computer
After putting it back I made a few other changes such as adding a slave DVD writer, a USB and re-seated the graphics card which looked a bit loose.
On switching on the computer it gave continuous beeps.
First I tried re-seating the memory, then one by one disconnecting components until it stopped
OInly when I came to the 4 pin power plug which sits in the centre of the motherboard did it stop
My first thought was to order a new motherboard then I'm wondering if it could be the processor
I dont want to buy one and find out it's the other
Can anyone advise me on how to find out
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: continuous beeps from computer

That's not good.  Cry
Probably time to scrap it TBH as the only way to find out is to swap components.
As you only have 2 left (mobo & processor) you might as well buy new ones of both - or a whole new system?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Did you count the beeps? They tell you where the problem normally is. Sometimes it is in two parts like 2 beeps, a delay then 4 beeps, but sometimes it's just one sequence but it will stop for a sort period so you can count how many.
Can you remember the BIOS manufacturer - AWARD, AMI or some others. If so, just do a google search for BIOS beep codes to find out what they mean.
I often find if the processor dies, it is often because the mobo has also gone faulty. Saying that... the fact that it is beeping suggests the processor is still working.
juliasdream
Grafter

The beeps are continuous without end. I'm not sure what the bios is
I originally bought it from Maplins as a bundle
The exact spec can be seen here:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/mail/MailPage.aspx?detailid=685&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=1&LanID=8
samuria
Grafter

All most certainly memory or video with continuous beeps
juliasdream
Grafter

Thanks for the reply
I tried removing the graphics card and using the motherboards VGA ut no change,
I had a second identical graphics card which I tried, also without luck
I tried removing each memory stick in turn and switching slots
whatever I try there is nothing coming up on the screen
Have you any ideas as to what I can try next to get to the bottom of it?
Thanks
adie:quote
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I know it sounds silly, but a screw hasnt dropped somewhere has it, and is shorting out the MOBO. Before you scrap the system, I would try running it out of the case, and then completely rebuild it.  Cant see how it would fail just because you removed the PSU, especially if it was working fine before. I suspect something is just not seated right, or connected correctly.  I agree with Samuria, continuous beeps are more than likely Memory or graphics.
Denzil
Grafter

The ECS link gives us the mobo model. Googling that takes me to a link for the <a href="http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?detailid=685&DetailName=Manual&DetailDesc=GeForce6100SM-M(V1.0/1.0A)&CategoryID=1&MenuID=75&LanID=0">manual</a>. The manual tells me it is an Award BIOS. According to <a href="http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/award-beep-codes.htm">this</a>, a high pitched repeating beep (if that is what you have) is an overheating CPU. Try removing the CPU and reseating it, preferably with some new thermal paste (just the merest thin smear) between it and its heatsink.
I had a similar problem at work recently, where a failed mobo needed to be replaced, the guy who replaced it didn't notice the CPU wasn't seated properly, because it had actually stuck to the heatsink with a huge gob of thick sticky paste.
juliasdream
Grafter

I have already removed the MB from the case to make sure no loose screws were floating around in there.
On Monday I'll try and get some thermal paste and dismantle everything. I didn't actually remove the CPU yet but I'm ready to try anything considering my financial circumstances.
I cant really afford to go buying a new MB possibly only to find I need another CPU and possibly memory too.
Thanks all for help and suggestions
juliasdream
Grafter

Help! I'm still stuck
I just took out the motherboard completely and tried re-seating the memory, re-seating the CPU, cleaning it and adding new paste. I put it all back together but still the same
Continuous beeps, non stop. Only when I pull out the 4-pin power plug does it stop.
Theres nothing under the motherboard shorting it
I originally bought it as a bundle from Maplins and the CPU was already seated. I just had to add memory and wire it up
I have searched on Google hoping to find the same motherboard bundle but cant even get the same board by itself. All I try have sold out
The problem is I dont know if it's the MB, the CPU or both
I want to have exactly the same because I dont have the WIN XP product key and dont remember all my passwords that are saved in Firefox so I'm locked out of some accounts on various sites including GMX email
I have a laptop and a caddy so I can access all my files
So my questions are:
Do the beeps indicate faulty MB or CPU?
Is there some software that can retrieve my passwords from Firefox through the caddy?
I have Jellybean keyfinder which works a treat on a working system but is there something like it that can do the same through a HDD caddy?
The laptop is running Vista home basic but I can have use of a computer running XP
If I can get all my info it wont matter which MB or CPU I get to replace the faulty one. I just dont want to pay out for a new version of XP on top of everything
mal0z
Grafter

I had it once - and it turned out that the keyboard and mouse plug had been partially pull out.
I turned off - push all plugs / sockets firmly home and turn on and the beeping had stopped.

samuria
Grafter

You can use firefox backup from
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ To backup your data in firefox or thunderbird
or copy the files over for thunderbird copy
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Thunderbird
Firefox
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
Change username to your username
Rockxp from
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rockxp.html will let you backup activation and show serial numbers and keys
Have you tried memory from another pc to check the memory?
juliasdream
Grafter

A big thank you to Samuria and everyone else who helped
I took out the cpu, cleaned it off and put on new heatsink compound. took out the memory and tried different memory from another computer and it worked fine.
I switched the memory back again and again it works fine.
It must be that the memory needed re-seating. Possible a combination of overhearting cpu and poorlty seated memory
I'm very relieved not to have to go spending loads of money on it.
Denzil
Grafter

Excellent news. Glad to hear it.