cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

content blocking

yorkie2

content blocking

I have started to block content that I don't want my kids to start accessing at home.
I started using the keyword filters on the netgear DG834G route that I have, but ran out of patience when I realised I'd have to type in may hundreds, or more, if I wanted to do a comprehensive job of it.
I then stumbled across openDNS, a web based (?), DNS service which, as I understand it, will provide DNS for you instead of using PLUSnet DNS.
It works in blocking content, but, my question now is:
- by using another DNS 'supplier' have I lost my other PLUSnet service features, e.g. firewall, .VPN access ..?
THe best solution that I could see would be that PLULSnet provide a content filtering service of their own - wouldn't seem to be difficult ?
How about it ?
TIA
Y2
4 REPLIES 4
samuria
Grafter

Re: content blocking

You dont loose anything from Plus Net you are still connected via their network. Its only the dns that changes with opendns so there is no need to worry.
Filtering is never an easy thing to do as everyone has their own ideas what is suitable. You can block things to do with sex but this may block biology as that has sexual words and this may stop the kids doing their home work. In the same way we used to block stuff and it ended up blocking news sites like BBC as they have reference to sex, drugs etc.
zubel
Community Veteran

Using the OpenDNS servers will *not* affect your Plusnet products with one slight exception - if you are trying to access Plusnet hosted domains then you may see slightly longer delays between a domain owner updating their entry and you actually seeing the changes.
In practically all cases you won't ever see this in effect Smiley
Plusnet have trialled various content filtering solutions previously (in fact, there is a trial ongoing currently).  I'm sure once they have found a solution that they like, it will be offered to customers.  As Samuria says though, it is a fairly subjective process to filter internet access and no solution is likely to be 100% perfect.
B.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

THe best solution that I could see would be that PLULSnet provide a content filtering service of their own - wouldn't seem to be difficult ?

The best I can say at the moment is watch this space Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
yorkie2

Thanks everyone - openDNS does roughly what  I want - without mangling any other connectivity - although I wonder where the catch is - as the saying goes - their's no  such thing as a free lunch...
Chris - I'm looking forward to plusNets offering  - can't wait. Keep up the good work, excellent ISP.
Cheers
Y2