cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting new device via Thomson TG585 v7 please

jric
Dabbler

connecting new device via Thomson TG585 v7 please

Help please as I haven't a clue what I'm doing!
I have had a Mac Mini connected quite happily to a Thomson TG585 v7 router for many years. I am trying now to connect a new Onkyo Network CD Receiver CR-N765 to this setup with an ethernet cable (not wireless) to be able to stream music from the Mac using iTunes etc.
When connected the Onkyo picks up internet radio via TuneIn, I have DHCP enabled and all the network addresses on its display agree with the Thomson settings – IP address etc. When put into Safari browser the Receiver IP address also produces a device page showing a Web Setup Menu, so I must be doing something right.
However, when I try to access 'DNLA' or 'Home Media' on the display I just get the message <No server>.
I feel I am just missing out doing something basic but the unit has not asked for passwords or any other info.
My problem is that I'm not even sure which piece of the chain needs attention so don't know who to approach for technical support.
1) Onkyo: everything else is OK but it doesn't seem to see anything to connect to.
2) Router: it specifically says there is no technical support for this on PlusNet support, although supplied by them, and all the Thomson Gateway Help pages are blank (obsolete model?) So I'm not sure if the settings are correct, however the router does 'see' the device on the Home Network in the ethernet port as an 'Active Generic Device'.
3) Mac computer: perhaps I need to switch on File Sharing or something similar? If I try for Internet Sharing 'share your connection from Ethernet' I just get a big warning triangle that says "If you turn on this port your ISP might terminate your service to prevent you from disrupting its network"!
Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: connecting new device via Thomson TG585 v7 please

You need a DLNA compliant server - this can be a lump of hardware or it can be a media server program on a PC.

The Mac probably has one.

Provided your router supports UPNP (I think it does), then DLNA will definitely work.

The Onkyo is your client - but it needs more than simple file sharing.

Linux can do this, so the Mac probably can.

I have server software on my PC that uses DLNA to show videos on my DLNA compliant TV.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jric
Dabbler

Thanks. I think I'm getting it now... DLNA is just a set of specs or industry standard which Apple doesn't use (doesn't like?) So no matter if all the components of the system are working fine the Onkyo will hit the buffers because it does not recognize anything attached to my router having the DLNA specs. It seems that there is software for the Mac that will overcome this problem, as you say, but reviews are patchy. The Mac OS is about to be updated so I think I'll wait until after that and then try out a couple of the software solutions that are compatible. I have found something on the router re game and application sharing which says 'UPnP Enabled' so now more optimistic about the router. No doubt it won't be straightforward but at least I think I can see where I'm supposed to be headed 🙂  

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The DLNA protocol is (kind of) a subset of UPNP.

See https://superuser.com/questions/226636/what-is-the-difference-between-dlna-and-upnp#226662

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."