cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting Macs to a wireless network

hulls
Grafter

connecting Macs to a wireless network

My son's home from uni (yippee  :-\)  He has his Mac Book Pro, and can connect ok to my network, but when he's at his girlfriends, it won't connect to her dad's network. (We both use the same model Belkin router by coincidence)
He knows the WPA passkey, but it doesn't like it (I asked him to check the usual - upper or lower case etc)
If they turn off the security, then it'll connect, but obviously they don't want to do that.
Any suggestions?  Huh
John
16 REPLIES 16
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: connecting Macs to a wireless network

Are both routers set to the same flavour of WPA ?
There are lots of different variants ( see here http://www.darknet.org.uk/2008/12/confused-by-wep-wpa-tkip-aes-other-wireless-security-acronyms/ )
Maybe one is set to WPA2 or maybe AES instead of TKIP ?
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hulls
Grafter

He says WPA with passkey (I'm pretty sure that the router won't handle WPA2) and it works ok on my router, so I don't think he's using the wrong one on the Mac, but I'll check to be sure.
Thanks
John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Normally gives some kind of error if it won't connect, is it saying anything?
Other thing is does the other router have MAC filtering on?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
hulls
Grafter

MAC filtering was off (he checked) and I think the error message was something like password incorrect.
John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Not got a hidden SSID?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
hulls
Grafter

The SSID was visible, and the Mac tried to connect, but the message just said that the password wasn't accepted.
James
Grafter

Have they tried changing the password?
I know it sounds silly...
tgr
Grafter

I run a mac on a network and the router is WPA2 so that maybe the problem
MacOS10
Grafter

What version of OS X is the Macbook Pro running? Early versions of Leopard (10.5) had issues with connecting via Airport to certain wireless networks, but Apple seems to have fixed this since 10.5.3 or later. The latest version is currently 10.5.6, if running Leopard, I'd suggest downloading and installing the 10.5.6 Combo Updater - see here - the Combo version can fix things that the incremental updates occasionally break (or miss). If it's running Tiger (10.4) then this probably won't not be relevant.
Sometimes you need to insert a $ before the password on a Mac with certain routers. It could be worth trying that.
Finally, check the router's firmware is up-to-date.
TomP
Grafter

Having the same issues now.  Woke up one morning and the router has decided to bump the macbook off. No error message, but it just doesn't connect to the Voyager 2110.  iPhone comes up with a different error saying the password has been rejected.  Know its correct, tried changing a few times, upgrading hardware etc.
Running Snow Leopard
James
Grafter

It might be a stupid question, but have you tried rebooting the router?
TomP
Grafter

As in a normal on/off or a reboot via the config manager?
TomP
Grafter

Tried a reboot via the config manager.  Seems like I can connect....
As I typed that I got a lost connection symbol on my airport, can only get a connection via the ethernet cable.  iPhone seems to hold the connection until I go upstairs and it drops.  Used to be able to get a connection in the upstairs bedroom no probs.  No changes in the modems position, electrical items around it or anything.  Very frustrating.  Last time a firmware upgrade solved this problem.  Router is fully up to date.
TomP
Grafter

Right, iPhone seems to work (Not checked range yet) Macbook can't connect.  Whenever I go into network diagnostics its telling me its connecting to the modem but cannot get the network settings.  Can take a screenshot it needs be.  The security is correct, so is the password.  No idea what to do next.