cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer freezes after standby

morgan2476
Grafter

computer freezes after standby

When i restart my pc after standby the mouse moves for about 1 second and then everything freezes and i have to reboot the system.  The only change that i have made recently is that i have replaced a ps2 mouse with a usb one.  Has anyone got any solutions?
8 REPLIES 8
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: computer freezes after standby

Are you saying "everything" freezes or just the mouse? It might not be so, check out some keyboard shortcuts to see if you can operate the PC after a fashion without the mouse. Start with ctrl/alt/delete and see if you get the "task manager" You did install the drivers for the new mouse...yes? USB mice in particular can be very specific about their drivers, particularly with Microsoft mice I've noticed, even those that have been introduced quite close together. Does the same thing happen from a switch off and reboot as opposed to a selected restart? Also try simply unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in again, this can cure a multitude of problems with USB devices.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
morgan2476
Grafter

when it happens i cannot use ctrl-alt-del i am using xp service pack 2 i did not install any drivers with the mouse.  Other than this everything is working well
Yadda
Grafter

Give this a try:
Click Start, right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties".
In the window that appears, click the "Hardware" tab and click the "Device Manager" button.
In the "Device Manager" window that appears, locate and expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section (at the bottom of the list) by clicking the "+" sign next to it.
You should see at least one "USB Root Hub" listed there.
Start with the first "USB Root Hub" listed there, right-click it and choose "properties". Click the "Power Management" tab and un-tick the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" checkbox.
Repeat this last step for the other USB Root Hubs you have listed.
petlew
Pro

Then, as two of us have hinted, I think you should go no further until you've installed the drivers/software that came with your mouse. If you can't find them etc. look them up on the web and download them.
As Yadda says, while you're in My computer/properties/hardware/device manager check out the mouse it'll probably come under "mice and other pointing devices" expand the heading and you should find the mouse you're using listed. If it isn't load the drivers. If it is right click and click properties in there you should find a tab for "update drivers". Make sure the mouse shown here is actually the one you're using now, it might just still be showing the old one, if so, it's back to loading the right drivers. If for any reason it's showing 2 mice, right click and delete the wrong one. 
As a matter of interest, many mice these days, come with a plug adapter to convert a USB plug to PS/2 or vice-versa depending on whats fitted to the cable. If you've got one of these, it might be worth a quick check to see if all's Ok as a PS/2 mouse.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
morgan2476
Grafter

I have checked the power management for the usb hubs and they are ok but the properties for the mouse (microsoft wheel) is different.  It does not allow the computer to turn of this device to save power but it does give you the option " to allow this device to bring the computer out of standby,."  which is selected.  I think I had the same problem when I used the ps2 adapter
morgan2476
Grafter

I am now using one of those ps2 adapters and everything is ok - but when i restart after the pc is in standby it goes strait on to the desktop before i used to get the log-on screen, also when the pc is off the light on the mouse is still on.  Any ideas?
petlew
Pro

All three of the optical mice in this house show a dim light underneath when their PC's are switched off, only when the power is disconnected from the mains completely do they go off. Yet another way of proving that "shut down" is really only a form of standby in some respects. If moved (even in "shut down) the light will brighten to normal operating levels, before dimming again.

Jovetic
Grafter

Quote from: morgan2476
When i restart my pc after standby the mouse moves for about 1 second and then everything freezes and i have to reboot the system.  The only change that i have made recently is that i have replaced a ps2 mouse with a usb one.  Has anyone got any solutions?

Pretty sure this may be memory related, the computer will use a certain % of memory to take it back to its state before the standby, cant remember where to increase this, if i am right at all that is.