Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing to a static IP adress

FIXED
Smeaghoul
Dabbler

changing to a static IP adress

For various reasons I'm thinking of switching from a dynamic to a static address, but have a few questions;

I don't see any problems with setting up router but my main question is whether the static address will be tied to a particular device's MAC address (ie. the MAC address of the router or a specific server).

if so, what happens if I need to change the router/server, will it be necessary to bind to the new MAC to connect ?, if not how do I make the changes, obviously these questions become irrelevant if no such binding occurs.

Are there any articles available concerning the process of switching from a dynamic to a static address.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: changing to a static IP adress

Fix

@Smeaghoul - The IP address you get won’t be bound but assigned to the router you connect with. So if you change this then the same IP will be issued to your new router.

You don’t really need to make any changes at all even if your router’s set to use DHCP it will still get your static IP on every start up. All you need to do is pay the one off £5 and you’re ready to go.

Smeaghoul
Dabbler

Re: changing to a static IP adress

OK thanks, on my way.