cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can`t open/import windows mail ( now fixed )

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

can`t open/import windows mail ( now fixed )

Wife`s laptop.... Windows Vista Home Basic.... running Windows Mail. 
last night when she tried to open her mail, she got the following message
windows mail could not be started. Initialize junk filtering. Your computer may be out of memory or your dis is full.  (080004005)
OK     (no it`s not ok, but I clicked it anyway)
*******************************************************************************************
then up popped another message box..
*****************************************************************************************
Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialised.
********************************************************************************************
so I downloaded Thunderbird, and set it up.... can now receive mail and send mail 
BUT..................
Cannot import the mails already on windows mail.
I have tried to replaice the MSOE.DLL but it says I need permission to do it...
I have run system restore, and no  change....
I have been able to access SOME of the emails, by opening them on thunderbird,  (there are about 360 ............quite a lot are definitely junk mail) but some just show a blank text space....
so I cannot delete them, as when trying to copy them, i got a message saying some had not got properties attached to them, and could not becopied,( assume this is the blank text ones)
How can I repair the Windows Mail without having to do a complete Vista Re-install, which will lose all programs and files.
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: can`t open/import windows mail

This may help http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html also found this which may be a bit less drastic http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/554006-reinstall-windows-mail.html
Possible Solution to Message could not be displayed problem
No, Microsoft Mail cannot be uninstalled and reinstalled since it is part of the Operating System.
But, it can be rebuilt.
There is currently no patch available for the problem of emails not dispaying and not allowing you to empty deleted emails or delete them one by one using the delete command.
I too, received the error code "Message could not be displayed
Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again."
I tried several fixes and database repair programs to no avail.

The following process worked for me:
Make sure that Windows Mail is closed when you do the next steps.
Go to the folder C:\users\%your computer name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ and copy the “Windows Mail” folder to another place on your hard drive for backup purposes so you will not lose any important emails.
Go back to the C:\users\%your computer name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\ folder and delete ALL of the contents.
WINDOWS MAIL, SINCE IT IS PART OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM WILL REBUILD THE FILES NEEDED TO RUN.
Open Windows Mail.
In Windows Mail, Go to File-Import-Messages
Select Microsoft Windows Mail 7, select next.
Browse to the location that you save the backup copy of Windows Mail. Then select OK.
Your messages will then be imported back into Windows Mail.
You will notice a folder that will be called “Recovered Messages”
Now, depending on what folders you had, recreate those under the Local Folders heading.
Go back to the folders of the messages you recovered, you will notice messages that were not removable before still there.
THE FOLLOWING WILL TAKE SOME TIME, BUT WILL REPAIR YOUR PROBLEM.
Locate each email that has NO Heading and highlight each one and hit the delete key, they will be placed into your Deleted Items folder, you must not go too fast or try to highlight and delete them all at once or you will get the error message again,.
Once you get to the emails that you want to keep from the Recovered folders, highlight all the messages by clicking on the first one, holding down the Ctrl key and selecting the last one.
Right click on the messages you highlighted and click “Move to Folder”, then select the folder you want them moved to.
Once the files have been moved, delete to folder that they were moved from (Makes it easier to keep track of where you are at.
Then go to your Deleted Items folder, right click and hit Empty “Deleted Items” Folder.
Hope this helps.
It also helps to change your setting under Tools-Options in the tab of “Advanced” under “Maintenance” Where the heading of “Cleaning up Messages” is located, check the box for “Empty messages from the “Deleted Items” Folder on exit. That way, your emails are removed and hopefully the problem stays gone
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmmm !... thanks Jim.... have saved the messages to a memory stick, so will be able to copy them back, if necessary...
The first option, seems to be a good deal complicated...
The second seems to be  less complicated...
I wondered if it were possible to download IE8 and run that (presume it has the mail client with it), to repair ....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I don't think IE8 includes Windows Mail
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi Jim
Have fixed it.... found a forum site, recommended downloading WMUTil   and then when unzipped,go  to repari Database on the screen ... 2 mins later, all working
http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/Default.aspx
Thanks for your help
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: can`t open/import windows mail ( now fixed )

Have bookmarked the link for the future
mal0z
Grafter

Seems like another reason not to use MS's built in applications like IE and OE - they are too deeply embedded with the operating system ?
I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email
Santiago
Grafter

I have Thunderbird set up and have tried it.  The thing I don't like is you have to organise with searches and filters which is way too complicated.
There doesn't seem to be an option to just create a simple folder to store emails as I do in Outlook.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The reason I use Outlook (not Outlook Express) is the ability to use categories to sort my email within folders.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not sure Jim whats wrong with this on OE
mal0z
Grafter

Ok - but there are plenty of others like eudora, Pegasus, Evolution ( that's like OE but works on xNIX as well as WIndows ) , etc etc .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_client
In fact I really ought to look at Evolution again ?.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The advantage of Categories over folders is that you can have emails in several categories and most important if you put it in the wrong category and can't find it you can sort the emails by user, date, size etc. to find it.
When you have put it in the wrong folder in Outlook Express  it is the pig's own problem finding it.
The difference between us is the amount of emails I need to store within the Dorset Area Secretary of the Ramblers folder which is currently 185MB and that only goes back to Jan 2008 (it is about time I did some more archiving)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

lucky you dont leave it on the PN server  Roll_eyes  Last month they cleaned my Spam folders on the 15th, I normally try and keep them for a month to see if any changes I make have a reduction, then move them to the deleted folder
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The only bits I leave on the server are in the catch all where I haven't set up a redirect.
I have an automatic incremental daily backup running for the whole of the My Documents folder which includes all the Outlook files onto a separate PC over the network