cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can a cheap bluetooth headset be used with skype on a windows pc / laptop ???

TORPC
Grafter

can a cheap bluetooth headset be used with skype on a windows pc / laptop ???

As per title
and if so
What are the Plus & Minus points
21 REPLIES 21
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: can a cheap bluetooth headset be used with skype on a windows pc / laptop ???

This may do the trik
Click Here
Or
Click Here
Both from Amazon
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: can a cheap bluetooth headset be used with skype on a windows pc / laptop ???

Yes they can. I bought this for a driving job a couple of years ago:

That job came to an end and I've been using it via bluetooth ever since for ocassional use as a microphone / earpiece for music / skype.
Plus points:

• You have no wire

• Easy to use (though software might be a bit of an issue - I think I'm using the toshiba blue tooth driver for the usb bluetooth adapter which is a Tesco Technika adapter lol)

• Freedom to move about

• Sound is reasonably clear for speech

Bad points:

• Sound for music isn't great but it is usable

• More EM radiation and most of it is going through your head / brain

• Relies on batteries that eventually go flat (that said, mine lasts for ages but typically it'll shut off in the middle of a great track  ::))

• Sound quality worsens the further away you go from the computer though this is usually several meters away

• You only get mono sound not stereo

So yes, it can be done but it isn't ideal.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers Midnight
My bad  Embarrassed I should of been a bit more clearer as I wasn't looking to purchase any as I already have 3 similar to the 1 7up mentioned as I picked them up as part of a deal (dont ask unless you want the long distance to China story Tongue Roll_eyes )
like 7up I use 1 whilst on my travels as it seems to be an extra limb these days Smiley
@7up
thank you for the detailed information Smiley
Now I can unseal 1 of the 2 unused B/T H/S and set it up for SWMBO for skype as she is always gassing to her family down South Smiley and she wont be tied up (Hmm dont get me started on that 1) Roll_eyes
Can a womans head / brain get any more fried ??  Lips_are_sealed
7up
Community Veteran

LOL
I also use mine for the phone when on the phone to my brother and cousin - both of which always end up being long conversations lol.
Not sure about your software as the default windows software didn't want to do it for me but if you PM me I will sort you out the toshiba bluetooth stack if I can find it on my HDD.
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers 7up Smiley
I will see how it goes later, as I am playing catchup due to loss of connection and family life taking over (and have the peace & quiet) for a short while Roll_eyes
Plus SWMBO has taken her Laptop over the stepdaughters as she is helping her with her Uni studies (dont ask!!!)
If it helps it will be mainly used with a Vista laptop however she doesn't know it yet but will be upgraded to Win 8.1 with all the bloat removed or replaced, when I find the time Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

Ok as a test I have set it up on another Vista laptop that is not used as muck these days (it does not have skype installed) so I was mainly testing for WMP (Windows Media Player)
On its default fully installed drivers I can go into the Audio settings and click Test and I get the test sound through the H/S, the option for the H/S to set as default is greyed out, I have tried disabling the spkrs and the spkrs are still working but no sound from WMP to H/S.
Did you have the same or similar issues 7up ?Huh
Send you that PM Smiley
Edit:
Avast auto update just spoke via the H/S if that's any help
7up
Community Veteran

Have you tried closing and then reopening WMP? - When it opens it grabs the current audio device and will continue to use it. It won't recognise configuration changes in real time.
I got your PM, I'm uploading the file now. It's a self extracting archive but I've put it in a .rar file as I don't know if PN's webserver allows .exe files or not. Alternatively you can search for Toshiba blue tooth stack.
Anyway this is the device I use:

From Tesco about £6 a few years ago. Works perfectly with the Toshiba drivers, not sure about other devices though.
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers 7up
It sorted itself out after a reboot due to other software updates
So unsure if closing & re-opening WMP would of worked as I closed it prior to the updates and was going to look at it later Smiley however you post changed my mind Smiley
Embarrassed stupid noob mistake that I should never of overlooked
P.S
I got your PM
and all d/loaded fine and ready for action if required many thanks Smiley
Still have to wait to get my mitts on SWMBO's laptop to test with Skype
Will keep you informed
P.S
Did you get that test PM you was waiting for Roll_eyes
7up
Community Veteran

Got PM but no popup lol (Mind you i was already in the inbox when i hit refresh so maybe it cancelled it out for that?!)
TORPC
Grafter

Oops now the wait begins till you get your next PM Smiley
7up
Community Veteran

Already got one lol from someone else about something earlier today lol
I swear my PM inbox has been so busy this week I feel like a plusnet celebrity - 7 today alone lol
TORPC
Grafter

Next they'll be having you on their TV ads Smiley
BTW
You are running out of images as I keep seeing the same 3 - 5 x per day since your changes Smiley
At 1st I thought I had too many bevies Roll_eyes
7up
Community Veteran

LOL
There are tons of avatars on the server and they're set to random but I think it's often picking the same ones for some reason - seems to change daily. Today I've seen the stickman from the matrix doing a lot of fighting yet the other day I kept seeing several of the others quite often. Seems to vary wildly for some reason lol but i will keep an eye on it!
TV ads.. lol don't think so me and PN have history together although I must 'fess that Bob P has been very helpful and kind recently.
You say you've downloaded the toshiba thing? - I can delete it then yes?
TORPC
Grafter

Yes thank you, go ahead and delete it Smiley