cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cURL error 28

Vega
Rising Star

cURL error 28

I've just purchased a plugin for my wordpress site on the ccgi server and got this error message when entering the licence key

I need some advice (see attached)

6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: cURL error 28

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Topic moved to 'Tech Help' where more assistance may be available.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vega - Is this of any use to you, seems you're not the only one.

Edit:- Actually added the link this time!

Vega
Rising Star

Thanks @Anonymous. Having eliminated most of the possible causes that I can check, it's most likely an access/permissions issue with the host. As PlusNet ccgi webspace user's are unable to easily contact the host (hostopia) directly, and PlusNet support themselves are not properly trained to deal with these old legacy products with ccgi space....

I've migrated that particular website over to a new dedicated hosting provider. It was a relatively easy process (if you know how to backup a MySQL database and backup website files via FTP). A quick DNS change on the domain and bam! I'm up and running on a much faster and well supported host (which has html compression enabled! .... tut tut PN).

Don't get me wrong. PlusNet are excellent at what they primarily do.. provide Landline, Broadband and Mobile services (Well supported in that area with great support) and I will continue to use them on that front.I just need something more reliable for my websites.

Might consider migrating the rest of my websites in time...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to hear you’ve got it working @Vega. As regards HTML compression there is of course a processing overhead on both the Server and Client side when this is implemented and in some cases it’s not worth the effort.

This may be worth a look at:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I thought html compression was primarily there for the benefit of older connections like dialup. These days who really needs it? Mind you with that said there are rural communities that have trouble with internet speeds so i suppose it still has a use..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Vega
Rising Star

Hi @7up I’m talking about file compression on my cgi webspace to reduce file sizes thereby increasing page load times. Not broadband related. 😉