Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband speed

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

broadband speed

If a computer is running a firewall, antivirus,spyware terminator,windows defender all at the same time could this have any affect on upload and download speed.
OK I know I could switch them all off and try it but as you can understand I would not wish to take the risk.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
Tyreal74
Grafter

Re: broadband speed

they will slow the traffic a little, biut shouldnt be substantial, besides if your firewall is rigged proprly it wont be blocking the ports you require.
James
Grafter

Antivirus and Firewall software can have a MASSIVE impact on connectivity and speed.
As a very brief test it always worth trying with these disabled to see if they make any difference to your connection speeds.  If they do, then it may be an idea to try uninstalling and reinstalling the software.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Can I just say that on my home PC that I do not run a add-on software firewall or anti-virus or "spyware terminator" and I don't have any Windows that needs defending.
I also have the PlusNet antivirus & port blocking both switched OFF.
I have never received any virus which could possibly interfere with my PC.
I do, however, have a secure operating system. In a worst case scenario, a virus could compromise user level data.
I should say that I rely on my router's firewall and NAT to protect me from the bulk of any bad stuff out there.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks for that. I will try what you suggest.
Whilst I have not read every single message under the broadband topic I have noticed a number of members complaining about slow speeds but among the vast amount of suggestions put forward as to the cause non ever mentioned virus checkers, firewalls or other programs running on startup hence the reason for me asking about it here. 
We are born into history and history is born into us.