cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband for the first time

valart
Grafter

broadband for the first time

I have been on dialup for nearly 8 years I have never had broadband befor so the speed to me was something amazing,I have just only got the 1GB because I am a small user on the net, I got carried away with my usage and used up my allowance and was sent a email stating the fact that my connection would be slower and would be returned the end of this month.
After being on dialup all those years I did not realise the connection was slower.
Arthur
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: broadband for the first time

Hi Arthur,
I'd agree that it's easy to get carried away when you first get broadband, it's like a fun new toy!
Should you want to, you can easily add additional usage to your product by using the upgrade link in the portal.
Let us know if we can help you at all.
Not applicable

Thanks for the memory Arthur - I have only had BB for just over a year and you reminded me of how wonderful it was when I was first connected. I still hold that opinion, and even though, like you, I only have the 1GB package which so far has been trouble-free, I very much appreciate it.
James
Grafter

I remember when I first got dial up.  It was like being a kid in a sweet shop.  Don't think I left my room for hours.
Mum used to get rather fed up that noone could ever get hold of us though Smiley
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I was the same James, it was this huge, amazing place that had so much to do and see (I'm 20 so this was after the boom had started). I actually managed to get a second line installed in the house, and had that as a dedicated dial-up line ^_^.
Which, funnily enough, has just reminded me of something. When we were changing to broadband, we still had the two phone lines in the house. However, every time we tested the main line for what speeds we would get, the max was always 512Kbps. Interestingly enough though the other line would sit happily with 1Mbps.
James
Grafter

Mike,
the two lines probably, for some reason, took different paths to the exchange, or alternatively, the BT checker was wrong, which wouldn't be the first time.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I'm not really sure where the difference came from. There's not really more than one way to get to my exchange because it's all fields around me, so I'm sure the farmers didn't let them dig up their land Tongue  I wonder if I went out and kept vandalising the line coming in for my connection, that eventually one of the reinstallations will be on a more direct route...hmmmm... Tongue hehe.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Moderators Note
Moved to Everything internet, as this does not relate to referals.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I remember when I first got dial up.  It was like being a kid in a sweet shop.  Don't think I left my room for hours.
Mum used to get rather fed up that noone could ever get hold of us though Smiley

We had home highway - me and me dad so i could have AOL connected 24.7 when it was 0808 ahh the good old days.
Arthur, 128k is faster than dialup so you should still be ok ( i used to love bonding the lines together to get 128k lol but 200 hours was like £34 a month!)  Shocked Shocked
fceluk
Grafter

I have an old 'modem' in the loft from the Micronet days.
It ran at 300bps full duplex.
You could, with a bit of mechanical hacking of the selector switch, get 1200bps down and 600bps up but it was illegal so we didn't.  Roll_eyes

Just an after thought...maybe we should have a Silver Surfers section for this kind of reminiscing!!!
puddy
Grafter

I remember when I got my 3 rd modem it was a us robotics it was advertised as being a 57000 yet they did not tell us that we would ever get that speed This is where the "up to" advertising came from!  We even have it today i.e. up to 8mg
In the world of advertising and isp something’s never change!!!
puddy
ps but I do get between 6.5 to 8mg now so I am happy
clockley
Grafter

Welcome, Arthur.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the service.  I'm still enjoying Broadband speeds and I have had it for about 3 years or so!
pcoventry76
Grafter

i've just come off 20MB which was okay but totally excessive for anything we do in the UK
PN suits me fine Smiley
fceluk
Grafter

For a lot of people ADSL is like cars.....
They just want the fastest possible
pcoventry76
Grafter

true