Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bluetooth paring query

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

bluetooth paring query

got a Microsoft Lumia 435 phone... and trying to connect via bluetooth to my laptop... got a bluetooth dongle which has "installed" itself...
I have "allowed discovery" on the laptop bluetooth settings.
Switch on Bluetooth on the phone and "tap" the laptop name on screen..... to connect... it then shows "pairing"...and another screen appears with a box which tells me to "enter your pin to connect"
Don`t know about a PIN number... have no recollection of setting one up on the phone... or the laptop... 
If I put a "random" 4 figure number in.... I get a popup window on the laptop saying some bluetooth wants to connect... click this message... the message immediately disappears and ..... nothing...
the phone shows... "not connected".... and checking on the bluetooth icon..." Check bluetooth devices"... no devices are shown...
presumably that is because the pin number is incorrect...
so... my query is... how do I find out what my pin number is ?  or is there something I need to do to set a pin number for the bluetooth to work ?

12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: bluetooth paring query

The phone is asking for the bluetooth PIN associated with the laptop. The bluetooth software on the laptop should either have a default PIN or allow you to set one somehow. What make and model is the adaptor ? Does the manual give details of the default PIN ? typically it's 1234 or 0000

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm.. thanks for the reply....
The bluetooth dongle doesn`t have any pin number mentioned on the card ( shelf hanger display card) that it came with...
tried 1234 and 0000 but still not showing... does the same as mentioned in the original post...
There is no "default" bluetooth on this laptop... hence the need for a dongle...
this is the one...  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191450619051
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Try pairing the other way, it should say "enter this code" that's the pin.
Or try without a pin if it will let it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I thinks this is what HB is suggesting http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/using-passkeys-for-bluetooth-enabled-devices

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Does the dongle not give you the PIN prior to ask to Pair ?Huh
on mine when i pair to my car , the car Bluetooth give a PIN to enter into phone  
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran

There is no PIN on the dongle card..
The laptop does not "see" the phone on the Bluetooth Settings
The laptop does get a notification from the phone that it is trying to connect via bluetooth
Entering 1234 or 0000 as a PIN on the phone does not produce any result , other than a message saying "pairing"   then  another message saying " failed to connect"...
tried to "add bluetooth device" from laptop... nothing shows up...  
Am going through the "troubleshooter" setup now.using Microsoft FixIt from a link on the linky HB provided....  Huh

Which hasn`t sorted it out....  Cry

Mav
Fixes: 515

I, too, have a Bluetooth dongle (Belkin) and have had some issues with connecting a pair of Philips headphones but no issue connecting any of my mobile devices. Since changing the headphones to Sony I haven't had any problems.
As for connecting to my mobiles, I don't remember having to enter a PIN.
You mention that the Lumia is set to be discoverable but is there also a setting to Allow devices to connect in the Bluetooth software on the laptop and is this ticked?
Have the correct, up-to-date drivers been installed properly? Go to Control Panel - Device Manager and see if you have any warnings there.
Can you try a different control software for the Bluetooth on the laptop?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran

Yes the laptop has been"checked" for "allow this computer to be accessed by bluetooth devices"...
Yes. I have checked the driver of the bluetooth device... and windows reports the latest driver is installed.
The phone .... (the device) is not "seen" when opening any of the dialogues... e.g.  Add new device.... and I can`t "manually" list it .. so I cannot click on it, and "add" in the "normal run of things" way...
Am now trying to install the bluetooth dongle on the 10" laptop, to see if it is any good on that one...
Mav
Fixes: 515

Do you have any other Bluetooth devices you could pair with the Lumia to rule out a problem with that?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran

The lumia phone is showing that it is paired with my old Nokia payg phone... so it should be ok.... 
It, the lumia phone, is also sending signals to the laptop, as shown by the messages previously reported above...
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm.... managed to connect to the 10" laptop... the lumia phone was "discovered" and also my Nokia PAYG in my shirt pocket... however.. I could not initially connect to the Lumia phone... until.. I right clicked on the "mobile phone bluetooth" listing,... got properties. and then renamed the phone Lumia Phone... it then showed up again with the new name.... and... a panel appeared with a code number I had to type ontot he lumia phone to verify it was the correct device... and it now says it has been successfully added to the 10" laptop...
so.. going for a cuppa... to celebrate... and will be back to have another go and see if this laptop will find the phone......
shutter
Community Veteran

This is weird....
have got both laptops side by side.... i.d `s.   10" and PC3.... both have now got USB Bluetooth dongles.... both are showing the bluetooth icon in the tray.
10" is showing "lumia phone" on Devices and Printers
PC3 is showing.... nothing  
phone is showing  (on bluetooth)   PC3 "paired" and when I tap on it, it shows "connected" in blue print...
However 10" is not showing on the phone... If I remove the bluetooth dongle from PC3 machine... the phone will show 10" paired and connected .