Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bios

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: bios

Quote from: samuria
When you took out the battery how long did you leave it? You may need to leave it a few hours so any capacitors run down, was there any pins near the battery as often there is  two pins to clear the cmos near by.

No, you are wrong samuria. You're thinking of a desktop PC. Laptops don't work like that anymore for the reasons stated above. Laptop builders removed the cmos jumping pins and also fixed the battery removal weakness as a deterrent against theives who would steal laptops and try to sell them on after resetting them. It's been YEARS since any laptops could be easily reset. Certainly no laptop capable of running vista would be old enough to be reset using this method. My old lappie wasn't up to Vista standards (ran XP ok though) and you couldn't reset the bios password on that either. I spent WEEKS hunting for a way around it - there are none.
You can not simply just remove the battery on them and hope the capacitors will magically discharge and wipe the memory. With desktop PCs you can still do both tricks (lord knows why, they're still valuable and high priority targets for theives). I think this is because they're not quite as easy to steal as a laptop which can be carried away in a carrier bag or under a coat.
Quote from: newmillscomp
battery was out for over 20 hours. It is a laptop.
Absolute [Censored] to split to remove battery. No pins visible to short.
Just going to admit defeat and leave back to customer.

As I've already said in my reply to samuria you can't reset bios passwords on laptops. It's a return to manufacturer job unfortunately. unless you know someone who can reprogram the actual chips. The othe option is simply to replace the motherboard with a new one that has no password set. Replacing or returning... they'll both be costly which is why I never bothered with mine.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!