cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bgn series Gateway oddity

Estragon
Rising Star

bgn series Gateway oddity

Last week (while away) I had one of my very few Plusnet disconnections, and ended up on one of the bgns. I forget which, but it was a bgn01. Within hours I had a system lockup on my laptop, which was working slowly in some respects to do with browsing. Particularly on loading long and/or complex pages.  FTTC at 56/14Mbps.
When I restarted a Windows update took place. After that the browsing experience got worse, and I uttered a few choice words about Microsoft.
I did a full system scan with my IS Security suite, and also with Malwarebytes. Nothing relevant found. (Tracking cookies and the like). Turned my router off for 10 minutes and came back onto ptw-bng01. (The first one was one of the other two).
Things got worse - with thinkbroadband forums being terrible. Hugely slow page rendering on all websites, not just tbb.
This morning I disconnected for about an hour. I have come back on ptn-ag01 and my system is flying. Almost instant page rendering everywhere including tbb forums.
Is anyone else finding a similar problem with pgns? The page start is quick, but the rendering speed dreadful. As though all required items (such as google ads) are being single-threaded, but I can't see how even that would cause the bad experience I was getting. I'm talking seconds for a page to load to the point where I could scroll down on it.
4 REPLIES 4
AndyH
Grafter

Re: bgn series Gateway oddity

Which browser are you using?
Estragon
Rising Star

IE11, Win 8.1
AndyH
Grafter

Does that have a developer mode which shows the breakdown of components for web pages and their loading times?
Estragon
Rising Star

It's got something of that sort, yes, that I've never used and would have to learn about. For an issue that has only occurred on (two) bgn gateways.
Oh - was also poor on Safari on iPad Air. Sometimes not as bad, but  taking many seconds to start a YouTube clip, often failing completely. Normally quicker than my laptop.