Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

avast free edition

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

avast free edition

I Have been using avast free for some considerable time and am very happy with it. My version is 4. something but looking on Cnet the latest version is 5. something.
If i try to update Avast it tells me it is already up to date (Yes I clicked on update program as opposed to update database).
Why does the program no update automatically and do I need to update it ?
comments please.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
thejudge
Rising Star

Re: avast free edition

It doesn't offer me an upgrade to v5 either.
I shouldn't worry about it. v4 is still being updated and, judging from what I can see on the Avast! forums, there are a lot of bugs with v5 that they haven't ironed out yet.
v4 works well enough; v5 seems to be a lot of extra bells and whistles that most conscientious users won't need anyway.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Sometimes this happens.  Another example is Mozilla Firefox.  Version 3.0 will offer updates to 3.0.x but not the update to version 3.5.  I'm not sure if 3.5 updates beyond 3.5.x to 3.6.  It's really stupid but that's the way it's done. 
jazz
Grafter

I use Avast and had the same problem with the update.  I went to filehippo.com to update to version 5.  I assume they are "rolling out" the updates from their own servers on a gradual basis to avoid any overload.  I find the new version very good though some complain that the "auto remove to Chest" function is a nuisance for them, though you can disable it.  Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: ReedRichards
Sometimes this happens.  Another example is Mozilla Firefox.  Version 3.0 will offer updates to 3.0.x but not the update to version 3.5. 

Well strangely my FF 3 install (in my Virtual XP box) just updated to 3.56 Cool