cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto sync backup and encryption

amcclean
Rising Star

I have a laptop with sensative data stored on it. The laptop in encrypted at hard drive level. I wish to setup something that automatically backs up certain files when I come back to home wifi without user interaction.
Cheers,
Podman
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: auto back on returning to home

Well I guess your options are determined as to what you have available to host the backup on. Is the backup to be done to a local or remote source? What OS does the laptop run?
amcclean
Rising Star

I have a set of work files that I need to have automatically backup and encrypted to either a local or cloud storage.
If on cloud the data will need to be secure as it include personal data.
Ideally I would like the backups to happen when I bring the laptop back to base and without any user intervention.
My version of windows does not include BitLocker.
Regards,
podman
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Will the backup be encrypted?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: auto sync backup and encryption

You've had replies here  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136612.0/
Comment not relevant now the threads have been merged
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Your requirements are somewhat vague.  
Is a software solution OK?  Search for 'Windows automatic sync  folder' for a few suggestions
If you want the data stored locally and you're happy to spend money on hardware, you could buy a NAS that offers sync software eg QNAP and QSync
There's always Dropbox, Onedrive etc if you're happy to store in the cloud.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Two threads merged
VileReynard
Hero

You definitely wouldn't use Dropbox as they have the encryption keys.
You would end up storing your data in a form which is publicly accessible - and in the USA too!

amcclean
Rising Star

Apologies completly forgot I had posted earlier thread. Must be getting old.

Netbook is already encrypted with Truecrypt at primary partition level and holds a database that I wish to back up automatically on return to home, preferably without any interaction to do so.
Database will hold personal data therfore I wish any backup remote or local to be encrypted.  
At present if I copy the database from the hard drive is its not encrypted as Truecrypt deals with the drive encryption of the primary partition on the fly.
I guess what I am asking is what will perform automatic backup of chosen database, encrypt it automatically and then send it to chosen storage location be it local or cloud.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

nero back it up version 12 or later
which would also allow duel syncing to both the nas and the cloud,
its not exactly encrypted but unless your running the same version of nero backitup you cant open the file Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Hero

But do you trust the cloud?

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

personally I use the one that came with my phone for photo's and music but I have 3 backups of the cloud account Smiley
i wouldn't trust anything with remote access to be secure because its insecure by design, having said that of course a cloud based backup that's always sync'd with the in use version of the file(s) would be a huge bonus in business terms that would minimise problems caused through loosing or breaking the portable device they were also stored on, of course I'd want the file to be password protected with at least a passphrase that wasn't used for anything else regardless of its location, most cloud services mirror servers across continents to mitigate the likelihood of losses caused by problems or attacks against one or two server locations, so in real terms they can be a much cheaper alternative to running your own file backup system with the advantages of instant access worldwide should the need arise but of course the downside is your not the only person who can access them (any company employee or security service can do the same thing never mind the data thieves or hackers) so as with just about anything its a trade-off between affordability and usability
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you