Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone know of a 4 port GIGABIT modem router with 802.11n wireless

mlavende
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

anyone know of a 4 port GIGABIT modem router with 802.11n wireless

Hopefully the subject speaks for itself. Is such a beast available yet ? Closet I've seen is a 4 port gigabit router with 802.11n wireless but no modem.
Cheers
-Mat
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: anyone know of a 4 port GIGABIT modem router with 802.11n wireless

Gigabit networking is not really mainstream yet, especially for home/small business networks so the market is just not there.
Your best bet is get a decent router (Netgear DG834G) and add gigabit switch to connect your equipment to. The ADSL speed is far below even 100Mbs Ethernet so there is no danger of anything being slowed down.
mlavende
Rising Star

Thanks PJ & Peter. I'll investigate a bit more then.
Cheers
-Mat
jaythe0ne
Grafter

i've always used Buffalo gear myself, i'm gonna be gettin this baby soon
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-n-nfiniti-dual-band/wireless-n-nfiniti-...
Have a look. hope this helps
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Just be aware it does not include an ADSL modem so you will have to have a separate Ethernet ADSL modem as well to use it or plug it into an exiting ADSL modem/router.
mlavende
Rising Star

Quote from: Peter
Just be aware it does not include an ADSL modem so you will have to have a separate Ethernet ADSL modem as well to use it or plug it into an exiting ADSL modem/router.

This is one of the reasons I want a new modem/router. My current (old) thing is an SMC 7404BRA with wireless addon by belkin. I've found more and more recently that when I kick off a torrent session on some large files at night and go to bed, when I come down in the morning the modem has disconnected. Consequently nothing has downloaded. I've tried everything to fix it and have sort of concluded that the traffic going through it (downloads, email server, os auto updates etc as well as network backups) are overloading it. It's only rated at 8Mb so I'm hoping a new adsl2/2+ one will fix it. What do you think?
mlavende
Rising Star

Quote from: jaythe0ne
i've always used Buffalo gear myself, i'm gonna be gettin this baby soon
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-n-nfiniti-dual-band/wireless-n-nfiniti-...
Have a look. hope this helps

Hi jaytheOne, I've seen this and it does look impressive, especially as it uses the 5Ghz band so reduces interference. Which modem will you use it with ?
Cheers
-Mat
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Your router is probably running out of sessions and locking up/rebooting as a result. This is fairly common with older routers which were never designed with the number of connections P2P apps need.
Try adjusting the number of connections you allow your P2P app to use (both outgoing and incoming) to something like 100 or even 50 then see if the same problems occur. If not, up the figure in 50s to the point where it disconnects then go back to the previous values. In reality having more than 300 connections is probably excessive.
I've known some routers to only have a max of 200 sessions before they 'go funny'.
mlavende
Rising Star

Quote from: Peter
Your router is probably running out of sessions and locking up/rebooting as a result. This is fairly common with older routers which were never designed with the number of connections P2P apps need.
Try adjusting the number of connections you allow your P2P app to use (both outgoing and incoming) to something like 100 or even 50 then see if the same problems occur. If not, up the figure in 50s to the point where it disconnects then go back to the previous values. In reality having more than 300 connections is probably excessive.
I've known some routers to only have a max of 200 sessions before they 'go funny'.

Hi Peter,
thanks for this. I'm using the latest Azureus client.
In the Advanced Network settings Azureus has the 'Max simultaneous outbound connection attempts' set to 6.
In the transfer section, the 'max connections globally' is set to 150.
I'll try lowering the second option and see what happens.
Thanks for your help.
-Mat