cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone know how to slave an external hard drive?

hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

anyone know how to slave an external hard drive?

Hi - I need to recover data from a WD external hard drive (SATA I think) that seems to have failed - intermittent faint clicking, windows xp won't recognise it etc etc.
I've heard that it's possible to actually remove the hard drive from its enclosure and test if its still working ok by running it direct to my pc ..kind of slaving it.
I dont want to shell out loads of dosh on getting it done professionally only to find out its knackered if I can do the job myself so i'm wondering if anyone knows about this.
Ta!
8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: anyone know how to slave an external hard drive?

Try removing it from its external casing and then open your PC (assuming it's a desktop) and checking you have appropriate power and a red SATA connector free.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6798014_connect-hard-drive-sata-motherboard.html
Mind you, it sounds knackered.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

hollytree
Rising Star

Thanks for the feedback A Fox. After removing the DD from its case, I've discovered it doesn't have a fan so overheating may be the cause.
Im thinking of getting a USB docking station and trying the drive in that. Might get a better handle on the root of the problem if I can see/hear the drive working rather than parking it inside the comp?
VileReynard
Hero

You probably don't need a fan for a disk (at least if you haven't got loads of high speed disks crammed into a small space).
That clicking of the disk sounds ominous - but until you connect the disk via a direct connection (not USB), you will never know.

hollytree
Rising Star

Hi A Fox is Evil
If you google this problem there's a whole host of recommendations to stick the whole drive, casing and all,  in the freezer Shocked - having of course protected it from frost damage with freezer bags. Being something of a cheapskate I thought I'd try this. Initially nothing Sad so i left it for a few days, plugged it in again and BINGO! Smiley I've managed to copy over half my mp3s onto my comp HD but had to stop cos my comp HD is now full.
Having now read around this problem a little, one thing is abundantly clear: external HDs are being manufactured with such miniscule tolerances in their construction and operation that it only needs a slight mechanical alteration to occur and the drive seizes up.  Furthermore, computer equipment in domestic environments may well be subject to far higher heat and dust abuse than is found in non-domestic situations. My WD drive case was hot to the touch and that level of heat may have caused metal components to expand beyond the miniscule tolerances within which they were designed to operate.
All of which leads me to the conclusion that I need to replace my external HD with one that is much more reliable one and has an effective cooling system.  Any thoughts/suggestions from your good self and other readers would be greatly appreciated.
VileReynard
Hero

I've seen this Freezer idea - but it's not guaranteed and a second freezing will not necessarily work.
If a single dust particle should get inside your disk, it would be toast - although dust isn't good for the electronics.
I would put your current MP3's onto a DVD or USB key etc and use the space freed up to try and get your remaining data off the bad disk.
I think the heat of the disk might have affected positioning of the servo over the tracks.
The drive should not run hot - my internal disks are currently running at 29 & 32 degrees (Centigrade).

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Or you could put your MP3's onto a USB Stick and Free up disk space.
hollytree
Rising Star

Thanks for the feedback A Fox is Evil and Midnight Caller - Im carrying out agree your suggestions about DVDs as we speak.
Will also look out a drive with a decent cooling system this time. Grin
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@hollytree, Will this do?  LaCie Quadra 1TB Hard Disk or this LaCie Quadra 2TB USB Hard Disk