Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android tv smart box

kuga
Grafter

android tv smart box

Has anybody tried one of these ?
I was thinking about buying a new TV but I didn't know that then you have to buy a sound system as well
my old TV works fine and has got good sound so I thought a android box might be the way to go
I am only on adsl but I seem to be able to watch TV fine on my Imac with speeds of 2.2mbs
thanks
7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: android tv smart box

I have a couple of them (I got them free for developing new roms on them) the are OKish, the wifi is cr@p unless it is right next to the router. If you want to use iplayer etc then a STB would be better than one of them, if you want to play games then the are quite good, if you can find a game that doesn't expect portrait mode by default. You need to add a mouse or a combo as they don't usually come with any controllers.
apjashley1
Grafter

I have a Measy U1A (just as a toy) and it's quite good! No stuttering on HD movies which is better than my home computer can manage
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Sorry yes they can play back HD stuff well, but you have to have it on a local disk to allow good playback, over the network/internet is iffy on my 2 boxes (cx-01 & mk802)
dfunked
Grafter

Since getting my Raspberry Pi, I haven't bothered using the smart features of my TV at all. The experience of using XBMC is miles apart from the clunky, unintuitive experience you get with Samsung TVs...
It's a doddle to set up (using raspbmc), plays anything I throw at it with ease (1080p content over the network? No problem!) and is totally silent...
There are a few hidden costs mind you, but if you've already got a spare SD card, HDMI cable and phone charger, you're laughing!
I can't comment on Android devices, but from what I understand, hardware H.264 decoding is a rarity with these, so smooth playback isn't something that's guaranteed...
kuga
Grafter

Thanks for all the info
I went to currys today and they sold me the google tv smart box
really nice build quality feel to it
but  after doing the set up which was quite easy I found it is not compatible with skype So I will take it back tomorrow
you are right Hairy Biker i would have to download you tube etc to memory as my internet is just not fast enough
I have only wasted a couple of hours which I think is good going
So thanks again to everyone
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I thought about the pi but the SD decoding on them sucks. HD is fine, but 90% of my stuff is SD. All the android boxes I have will do mkv(HD) or avi (SD) playback no problem, as long as it ls local.
Finguz
Grafter

Try one of these. They use the same quad core cpu's found in the latest Samsung smartphones.
Add a nice case and you have a very versatile, powerful system for use as a media server, stb, or anything else you can think of  Cool