cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

an auld eejit

hoolits
Grafter

an auld eejit

Somehow I've managed to delete, loose, mislay or otherwise (in a senior moment) the complete Microsoft Works Suite 2002 on my computer.
I have the relevant original 4 discs that came with the computer but when I insert Disc one, which has Microsoft Works Suite 2002 Setup, Word 2002, Microsoft Works 6.0 and Microsoft Clipart, nothing happens.
There is a whirring noise for several seconds as if something is about to happen but nothing comes on the screen and then it stops.
Can anyone help an old man out?
Please make it idiot proof, you know...... step 1, step 2 etc
Wink
Roy.
4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: an auld eejit

I assume those disks are diskettes - well known for going unreadable at critical times,
especially if you have upgraded your PC - diskette drives tend to out of alignment.
You could try duplicating these on another PC - but this will almost certainly fail.
You could always download the free OpenOffice package http://www.openoffice.org/index.html
It might import your files (not sure) - it will certainly allow you to import/export Microsoft office files.
If you just want to look at your files (or print them), try http://microsoft-office-word-viewer-2003.en.softonic.com/

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

paulby
Grafter

If they're CDs you may not have autorun enabled.
You could try going My Computer (assuming Xp) and browsing the disc.  Look for a file called (normally) setup.exe and double click it.
Denzil
Grafter

Openoffice can't open MS Works files directly. In fact almost nothing other than MS Works can open MS Works files directly, so it is a poor choice if you ever want to send somebody a copy of a document.
You could install Openoffice and the Word viewer as described above. For any document you want to change, open it in the Word viewer, choose Edit - Select All from the menu, then Edit - Copy, then start a new document in Openoffice and go Edit - Paste.
Openoffice is a good replacement as it is free, and can open and save a wide variety of file types (apart from MS Works).
hoolits
Grafter

Thanks you guys,
A bit of fiddling, trial and error and with a touch of luck thrown in, I now have it back on seam.
New I could rely on the Plusnet Brigade.
Roy.