cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice on fast transfer of files.

scootie
Grafter

advice on fast transfer of files.

hi well the story goes im 0n pakage 1  p2p is capped but my sister signed up with o2 and gets superfast p2p speeds(ie takes 30 mins to download 1gb) so me being a cheap skate and not wanting to pay an extra 5£ to plus net to get fast p2p over night. i remote conect to my sisters comp and use hers to p2p.
but here is the problem i thought it would be quick to then send the files straight from her comp to mine but this has proved wrong.
it was slow using windows messenger and tryed the file tranfer thing that is built in with the remote asstiance thing that proved rubish.
Ftp seems the thing i need but what would the best setup be any advice please  on geting these files from my sisters to mine quickest?.
my sisters upload speed is 1100(yes that is correct) and my download is about 2500 to 3000.
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: advice on fast transfer of files.

Not sure how much use ftp would be since you are BBYW option 2 - see this speed info http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#Option2speeds
scootie
Grafter

im on option 1 if i was on option 2 i would just use p2p on plus net connection as they is no speed cap on p2p overnight use.
but just checked that speed page and defo ftp on option 1 is a no no for me as its capped at the same speed as p2p.
isnt they any email providers that allow u to attach a file in the 1gb region?.
i know hotmail have a 10mb cap on file size.
well i thought remote connecting to my sisters computer thats on O2 which gives super p2p speeds then transfering direct from hers to my computer would get round the speed caps im on.
but as life is allways never that simple might just have to cough up the extra £5 to get uncapped p2p speeds on overnight usage unless some one has an idea of what i can do?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

2 things you may not be aware of...
1) When you are downloading a file from your sisters PC, the limiting factor will be your sisters upload speed which is much slower than her download. I don't know what O2 use (LLU or BT IPstream/Max) so it may only be 256Kbs (standard IP Stream) or 448Kbs (IPStream max).
2) FTP is also very limited Option 1 (I think to 128Kbs) so again that will limit the speed you can get data off your sisters PC.
You will also use up your allowance very quickly!!!
Email is not designed for very large attachments as the data has to be encoded as 7 bit so making the actual attachment much larger than the original file. You won't find many (if any) that allow 1GB attachments.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Peter,
Have a read of the original post
Ftp seems the thing i need but what would the best setup be any advice please  on geting these files from my sisters to mine quickest?.
my sisters upload speed is 1100(yes that is correct) and my download is about 2500 to 3000.
scootie
Grafter

well O2 bought out be unlimted so they use there LLU network. my sister is on there standard 8mb package but they have better uploads hers is 1.1mb and download is the highest u can get on 8mb which i think is about 7100kbs as she lives across the road from exchange(lucky girl).
and about using my usage up i have to use p2p after midinight as it is. so when i use my sisters o2 connection i do at night any way.
but somthing i have learnt is remote connecting dosent use that much bandwith so i could set p2p going on my sisters comp during day and just transfer them to my comp after midnight which would get my body clock back to how it was before signing up with plus net.
ftp defo isnt the way to go as on option 1 ftp is capped to same speed as p2p 256kbs which works out about 30kBs and with my sisters connection i have bein geting in the region of 450kBs-500kBs p2p speed.
and with my sisters 1.1mb upload speed tranfering staight from her comp to mine would give faster speeds than me using p2p on plus net option 1 if only they was a way of transfering the files without runing into plus net speed caps.
if no one can come up with a way round i may have to upgrade to option 2 which has no caps on p2p and ftp after midnight but i would still do the p2p on my sisters o2 connection due to hear massive 1.1mb upload and 7.1mb down and my poor old dial up speed of 2.5 down 350kbs upload.
thanks for any advice on this one. so ftp is nono email is a nono. is they no other way to transfer files with out hitting speed caps?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

burn a a DVD and post it  Grin
scootie
Grafter

yes i would do that. but i have 2 dogs that dont like the post man and his goods that he brings.  which i dont mind when there bills but a cd no. that would just result in a corupted download lol
chillypenguin
Grafter

The dog eat my download!
scootie
Grafter

haha moment any one know of a good file spilter to spilt them to about 250mb then i could put them on to my plus net web space uwhich i think i wouldnt get speed capped as its not external. problem 1. dont know nothing about making web pages 2. would i beable to upload to my webpage from my sisters O2 connection.
scootie
Grafter

sorted installed microsoft shared view and the files transfer alot faster than remote asstiance file transfer.
i think its due to the fact that with remote asstaince you can not be the helper if you r runing xp and the other is vista. but i can help my sister on her xp from my vista.
any way this microsoft shared view seems more compatable beetween xp and vista so for some reason files transfer better there is one problem thoe u have to have some one at both computers to get shared view connected.
artificer
Grafter

how far away is your sister?  if you could visit, you could take along an external usb drive and transfer the files that way.
scootie
Grafter

well ive chucked money at the problem now and moved up to option 3 nice p2p speeds after midnight and not to bad during day but that means usage. so same as before and leave comp on at night but instead of coming down in moring and seeing download 60% complete now my comp nicely turns it self off about 2am after downloading gig bytes of files. Smiley
the only benifit of connecting to my sisters comp is she has the max downloaad u can get on 8mb plus she has the massive 1.1mb upload speed.
has any one taken up the deal plus net r offering for £8 to give u about 850 upload speed instead of 448?
scootie
Grafter

do u mean u have had the upload package.
if so do u do any p2p and has it made a big defrence to your down speed. my sister is on o2 network and lives next to exchange so gets the full 7150 down speed but she all so has 1.1mb upload as its on LLU she gets p2p downloads super fast and im just wondering if coz im on 3mb down speed if having a bigger upload would benfit my downspeed on p2p.