Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advertising banners load strange text

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

advertising banners load strange text

When I visit speednet and sometimes other random sites, banners on the pages sometimes don't load correctly and I see Chinese text where the banners should be, its not something ive ever seen before. I tried rolling back my IE from 11 to default IE8 for windows 7.
But when I tried to reinstall them back one by one back to IE 11 where I had it, they would only download but not install... so after trying to work out what was going on I just did a complete format/reinstall of windows 7. Computers currently all setup with latest drivers and all and all seams to be running sweet.
I just took another look at speedtest.net to check my speeds and noticed the same thing with banners displaying Chinese text ?  Check the link http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=kew3eo&s=8#.VE4ryGcfxD8
So im currently puzzeled to why it might be doing this... oh and before someone says 2 why u using ie11 get chrome blaaa... Ive always been happy with IE11 and never liked other browsers so don't intend on changing.
This post is basicly just to see if anyone else has seen this before or if anyone knows what it could be and how to fix possibly? I do have Microsoft essentails installed along with malwarebytes and also have pop-up blocker enabled in my IE11 settings.
Ive ran virus scans on everything and no virus or malware is picked up.
11 REPLIES 11
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: advertising banners load strange text

Ste have you tried another Browser ??  Firefox or chrome 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi St3,
I've seen a thread elsewhere on the internet very similar to this, unfortunately I can't find it again now. One of the suggestions there was to try the browser in compatibility mode on the affected site.
When did it start happening, did it coincide with a Windows update or similar originally?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
St3
Aspiring Champion

Hello chris cheers replying
Erm it only seams to be happening when I visit speedtest.net website, all other websites I visit display banners normally. Ive added the site to compatibility mode but it don't change anything.
Take a look at these screens

Working banners display as normal on broadbandchecker.co.uk
Banners displaying Chinese text and not displaying correctly on speedtest.net
Maybe its some kinda fault with speedtest.net
St3
Aspiring Champion

update.. I just hovered over the banners then right clicked my mouse and clicked on encoding, I then click on auto and one of the banners displayed normally but then when I refreshed it the banners went back to displaying Chinese text. So im guessing its maybe a bug with IE 11.
TORPC
Grafter

I can confirm that is the same here on Win 7 Ultimate IE11

So looks like a glitch / bug with IE11
IE8: on vanilla XP is unaffected
Firefox / Chrome on both Win 7 & XP also unaffected

Mav
Fixes: 515

Seems all OK here with IE 11.0.9600.17358.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think it's the language encoding, this can be changed in the View > Encoding menu on IE but I'm not sure what it needs setting to and what side-effects changing it may have.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Mine is set to Unicode (UTF-8) if that's any help.
Edit: I just changed to each of the three Chinese options with no change to the display.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Mine is also set to Unicode (UTF-8) by default
I have just experimented with various encodings, including (Auto-Select) & no difference was made, even by clearing the cache, each time
Forgot to add, mine is also the most current version

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

advertising banners?
I thought the internet was unruled by anybody... who are these people banning advertising and how dare they?
Whats more why are they loading strange text?  Huh

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, here's my 10p's worth.
Using either Waterfox x64 or IE 11 I get results similar to Mav i.e. an proper screen with adverts (when not blocked). However, what is worth noting is that some of the adverts on TORPC's screen shot are correct, so is anyone having these issues willing to view the source of the page to see what and where it references, then view these URLs on their own?