cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding another connection

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

adding another connection

I've got the 'BT 2wire' router from PlusNet which I just use with the yellow (ethernet??) cable and all is well connection wise. Soon I'll be adding another Dell PC is a fairly distant part of the house (through what was once an outside wall, so bricks & mortar rather than plasterboard) and I'm wondering how best to connect it.
The Dell spec says:
Communications 
Network adapter (standard)
10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN on system board

Wireless options
Internal Wi-Fi (802.11g)
Bluetooth®  2.0 wireless technology with Media Card Reader
If it's got internal Wi-Fi would it work through a couple of walls, or can I buy a huge long version of my yellow cable and just plug it in?Huh

5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable

Re: adding another connection

The huge long version of the yellow cable is the best bet for quality. Might be worth hanging fire though to see what the experience is like on WiFi first though.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Hard wiring with your yellow cable is always best (you can make up your own).
Wireless will give a much lower connection speed but unless you are transferring large files between PCs that will be less of a problem.
You could also make use of the house mains electric wiring (NOT by stuffing your yellow cable into the nearest 13 amp socket I hasten to add). There is kit available as others will describe in detail.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Cables don't have to be yellow, there's a wide selection of colours.  Grin
Anything up to 100 metres will work fine and can be purchased in various lengths for a few pounds complete with RJ45 connectors on. Normally called "patch leads".
Longer ones tend to be grey.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

"PCArena - 30 metre Network Ethernet Cable RJ45 PC XBox 30m - PCArena PC Parts"
Does this sound like the correct thing (it's grey  ::)) or is it just for an xbox?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sounds good, is that long enough?  wifi through two double brick wall probably wont work