cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add ons

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

add ons

OK, so there are two boxes for PlusNet Protect. One says free & one says free for 3 months and then £2 per month.
The list of what they do is almost identical.
Am I being thick? Is the top one only free for 3 months? What's the difference & why two boxes/options?
Anybody use it? Is it any good? I thought McAfee was a bit like Norton had become - bloated and slows your machine down?
Thanks for answers
Stewart
6 REPLIES 6
AndyH
Grafter

Re: add ons

Where do you see the one that is free for two months then £2 per month after that?
This is all I see:
Edit: Possibly found the answer
4. How much does it cost?
The price depends on your broadband product:
£2 a month for Plusnet Essentials customers
It's free for Plusnet Unlimited customers
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Strange, your page is different - must be the package you are on right enough?
AndyH
Grafter

Yes...I think it must be
To be honest, there are better solutions if you want your network/PCs protected.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

So now that's sorted - is it any good?
I notice in another post oldjim (a much respected answerer of my problems) doesn't use it - that might speak volumes  Wink
And, as another poster in the same thread said - is it not a resource hog, and you're better with the free options that exists these days?
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Yes, don't touch with a barge pole comes to mind (with anything to do with McAfee).
See these AV testing sites for comparing different products.
www.av-comparatives.org
www.av-test.org
P.S. I also see the two options in add-ons with my account. So not just you seeing it.
That's RPM to you!!
AndyH
Grafter

It all comes down to what kind of protection you want or need.
I think AVAST is the widely regarded as one of the best free anti-virus program.
You can set firewall settings on your router and/or your Plusnet account https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
You can also use a service like OpenDNS if you want to set up some kind of content filtering - or even filtering of phishing sites etc.